Van Dyke Parks

Carl

When Dan got to interview Van Dyke Parks, my immediate thought was: Brian Wilson. That's where Van Dyke's name tends to show up, but the real story here is that he's been doing arrangements and sessions for some of the most respected and innovative artists in the business for over 50 years. The same guy who worked with Brian Wilson also did Fiona Apple and Rufus Wainwright.

Parks is often described as odd and eccentric, but I'm all for anyone with the kind of lexicon to deliver answers like, "the tensile strength and the very definition of an artist is something that I would place at the top of a vertical hierarchy."

He's a modern throwback, which is what we need right now. As we've been discussing in previous posts, some of the best music these days has a strong connection to the past, and a lot of that connection is Van Dyke Parks.

Van Dyke Parks interview

You know, Van Dyke Parks just really explained how seriously he goes into his work.Arranging,working around notes,figuring out bad notes.(and vocals)And I'm surprised you guys really got him to say anything.But,he really did answer the questions (and then some)And anybody that can work with Brian Wilson(that's the first person I always think of)has to be good. One of the best interviews. :cool: