Sugarland Concert Stage Collapses At Indiana State Fair

Mike

Moments before winds estimated at 60 to 70 mph knocked over the stage framework and lighting rig at the Indiana State Fair, award-winning country duo Sugarland were getting ready to perform their headlining set and holding their traditional pre-show prayer circle. They were safely underground and aware of the severe weather situation, thanks to the band’s tour manager who, according to a source, “decided to hold everyone back from going on stage for a few minutes to see what the weather would do -- a decision that probably saved our lives.â€

“There was a splash of rain, and a horrible noise, and people came running down the ramp… then we saw a truss fall and then the whole thing went down and blacked the ramp out.â€

Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush along with their five band members were safely contained in a “concrete bunker†beneath the ground, but many of their 40 stagehands and techs were already setting up for the 9:00 p.m. set. “They jumped into the pit and moved rubble and equipment to try and help those fans up front,†says the observer. “The Sugarland crew and EMTs on site were heroes.â€

Four concert attendees are reported to have died and another 40 taken to area hospitals. “It was a perfect blue sunny day until this, it’s just heartbreaking,†says the source, who adds that watching the video footage later was “surreal.â€

A Sugarland staffer referred to the band’s tweet following the collapse, which read: “We are praying for our fans, and the people of Indianapolis. We hope you'll join us. They need your strength.â€

A representative for the Indiana State Police announced that the fair will be closed on Sunday and will reopen Monday with a service to honor the deceased.

In July, a stage at the Ottawa Bluesfest in Canada collapsed due to high winds while the band Cheap Trick was playing, and last week, Oklahoma band Flaming Lips experienced a toppled rig at a show in Tulsa. No one died at either event.

Copyright © 2011 The Hollywood Reporter

They've just added a fifth person to the death toll. :P

State Police First Sergeant Dave Bursten addressed a news conference early Sunday morning saying more than 40 people were treated at local hospitals. He adds, that number may increase (those killed) due to the number of people who transported themselves to the hospital. Injuries range from simple scrapes to more critical trauma.

So much for the prayer circle.

Considering that those within the prayer circle were among the uninjured, I'd say au contraire.

Wow. Wow. Talking tonight with my guy about how similar the stage was to the one at Country Thunder a couple of years back here in AZ, and how the windy circumstances echoed those of this incident. I was up on a sort of shelf-seat (on the side of the stage, there were steps to a place where you could sit and watch the show from above/side) and the wind was so strong it blew down equipment and light fixtures. One enormous light cover blew right past me. I would have been dead instantly if that stage collapsed. I will not ever go to another outdoor concert in windy conditions. Ever.

So glad that Jennifer and crew are safe, and so sorry for those families who lost loved ones... it really brings life zooming up in vivid living color when the gods get angry.