Serendipitous Song Moments

Carl

This morning a raccoon was in my garage, and he wasn't going anywhere. I'd rather not get rabies, so I called the local cops (animal control is business hours). The instructions: bang a pot and call us back if it doesn't go away. By this time, my neighbor, who is one of these New England guys who built most of the town, was over poking it with a stick. Yeah, it was sick all right.

Call the cops back, and 2 show up. One of them stays on the fringes and the other gets the big stick with a hoop on the end and snags the coon. Then he shoots it.

A few hours later we're driving around and Rocky Raccoon comes on the radio - we were listening to the Sirius Spectrum channel. A quirky and interesting Beatles song that is strangely dark, it very rarely gets radio play, and it's probably been 3 years since I've heard it. But on the very day I have a raccoon run-in, it's on the radio.

Has anyone else had a case of this kind of song serendipity? Not like breaking up with someone and a breakup song comes on, but a song so random presents itself as the soundtrack to an unexpected event in your life in such a way that you wonder if the universe is messing with you.

By the way, the police will shoot a raccoon, but they won't dispose of it.

I have moments like that on a continual basis. Weirdly, right now I can think of not a single one, but it always happens that I'll have a conversation with someone or see something on TV or read about something, and the next thing I know I get in my car and a song comes on about that subject that I haven't heard in 25 years or so.

Jeff tells me I'm psychic. I think it's just psych-o. But I'll let him dream.

Carl - they shot the raccoon in your garage? And just left it there? I hope the kids weren't around!! That's awful. :(

That's awful.

It was awful for the Raccoon. The kids slept through the whole thing, even the gunshot. I'm sure animal control would have handled it differently, but for the cops, they shoot it, leave you the corpse, and go back to their coffee.

A couple of years ago we came back from the funeral of a lovely niece that had died so incredibly young. We were in a sad mood; I asked if it was allright to turn on the radio to seek some comfort giving music. It was allowed.

After an advertisement the station Arrow Classic Rock played Pearl Jam's "Black".

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star

In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why

Can't it be, can't it be mine"

Eddie Vedder's bronze voice in dispair: just what we needed.

Perhaps this isn't so serendipitous but just a funny (though perhaps not so funny at the time) coincidence.

My friend was on his way to his grandfather's funeral and decided to turn on the radio. The first song that comes on is "Great Day To Be Alive" by Travis Tritt. So he's driving to his grandfather's funeral while his speakeras are blasting "It's a great day to be aliveeeee"

Not funny at the time, but kind of funny now.

About 10 years ago a person I went to high school with passed away.Of course people from my band (from high school showed up)And for the first and last time we played "Freebird"Anyway,I totally forgot about the occasion and after not being with the band for 10 years (just one of those days)Everything really worked...good sound.We just jammed it out and everyone at and the end was just crying (just sad)I thought wow we can really still play together(like putting on old shoes)Then I realized it was a funeral :( no clapping just lots of crying... :(

I was going to delete this post,then thought it's the truth.I'll never play "Freebird" again (I didn't want to play it in the first place)But, "Stairway To Heaven" was out of the question.

Edited by Guest
honesty

okay, I'll contribute to the funereal scenario.

Seniors in high school, my best friend had come in my front door and plunked herself down on the first stair, beside herself crying. She could barely get the words out that she'd just heard that one of our close friends had just been killed in a car accident. We ran to my car to go investigate and find out for sure.

First words on the radio upon starting up the car: "I've seen fire and I've seen rain, I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end. I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend. But I always thought that I'd see you again." No kidding. It wasn't even the beginning of the song playing - it was the chorus and those words. We looked at each other, burst into tears (again) and changed the radio station.

And yes, the rumor turned out to be true. :puppyeyes: