"Sad Vacation" - Johnny Thunders

edna

I was listening to this song and I payed attention to the lyrics... I have no idea who is he talking about or what does the line "belsen was a gas just like you" means... I can't find any info on the net.

I need a real Johnny Thunders fan... maybe somebody knows something about this song?

Sad Vacation :

I'm sorry i didn't have more to say

maybe i could have changed your fate

you were so misunderstood

you could have been anything you wanted to

its a sad vacation what can i say

its a sad vacation oh you knew how to play

flowers of romance hey wasn't that new

and belsen was a gas just like you

oh you were so real thats why they all loved you

oh sing it from your grave its so very hard to do

its a sad vacation oh you knew how to play

Well I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry

Edited by Guest

My sweet Andalousian red-haired cousin just explained it to me: "Belsen was a gas" is a song of the Sex Pistols, written by Syd Vicious.

Johnny Thunders and Syd Vicious were junkies and friends. They used to get heroin from the same dealer. The song, a friend just told me, is a tribute to Syd Vicious.

Thank you, Martin... :) I was shocked when I read the lyrics. I met Johnny Thunders many times 25 years ago, I never realised about this song... i would have asked him.

...the line about the dealer isn't a fact, I made it up...

Edited by Guest

You're right, he was a New York Doll... with Sylvain Sylvain, David Johanssen, Pete Murcia or Jerry Nolan and I don't remember the names of the rest... and I am a NYD fan... and I liked a lot Johnny Thunders... saw him live three or four or more times... even worked in a couple of gigs with him and The Heartbreakers (JT's heartbreakers, not Tom Petty's) but it was almost impossible to work with him, he was way too much into heroin.

I don't like jokes about jews& concentration camps, that's mostly what bothers me...

...and yes, chutz, very beautiful song... :P I love it.

Edited by Guest