Chuck Berry Honored With Statue in Hometown

Lucky

UNIVERSITY CITY • Rock 'n' roll icon Chuck Berry, who got a presidential standing ovation at the Kennedy Center and whose music has been shot into outer space on a copper record aboard a spacecraft, was honored in his hometown Friday morning.

Surrounded by the people who know him best, Berry attended a ceremony dedicating an eight-foot bronze statue of him made by renowned artist Harry Weber.

Berry thanked the crowd for coming out in 88-degree heat at 10 a.m.

"I don't know how to speak, but I can sing a little bit," said Berry, wearing his signature cap. "I'm going to say thank you again, and I love you all."

After he spoke, the crowd began singing one of his most famous songs, "Johnny B. Goode."

The statue is at 6555 Delmar Boulevard in the Delmar Loop in University City. It's directly across Delmar from Blueberry Hill, where Berry has performed for 14 years to sold-out audiences.

Blueberry Hill owner Joe Edwards, who with KMOX Radio's Charlie Brennan helped raise money for the statue, welcomed the crowd which he estimated at 600.

"Welcome to The Loop in St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States of America, in the Solar System in the Milky Way Galaxy," Edwards said. "The reason I greet you that way is that the man I am about to introduce had his song, 'Johnny B. Goode' chosen to be put on copper records aboard the Voyager space probes, launched into outer space in 1977 to reach out to the universe with the best of our culture."

During the ceremony tapes were played of congratulations and tributes of Berry from Little Richard, Elvis Costello, Michael McDonald, Merle Haggard and Joe Perry of Aerosmith. Ron Isley, also a rock and roll Hall of Fame inductee, famous For Twist and Shout" and other songs, joined the festivities.

After the ceremony more than 100 people, including family, were invited to Blueberry Hill for a reception. Berry signed autographs with customary modesty and with his wife by his side.

Asked how it felt to have a statue, which he said he liked, Berry, 84, said: " I feel like I'm outside Blueberry Hill," one of his favorite places in the world.

Berry, who grew up in St. Louis, started out playing clubs in the early 1950s in St. Louis and East St. Louis.

Highlighting his musical career, the new Ackert Plaza features illuminated stainless-steel walls with laser-engraved musical notes. A blue-light LED system in the interior of the walls will illuminate the melody of "Johnny B. Goode."

Tonight, Berry will throw out the first pitch of the Cardinals-Cubs game at Busch Stadium.

See it here / Source

'Bout time St Louis. :P:)

8 Feet height is not enough for a rock 'n roll artist to whom so many bands all over the world pay tribute.

There is room enough beside the Statue of Liberty for a 305 feet tall statue celebrating the greatest American export product of all times: "Hail Hail Rock 'n Roll"!

The city of St. Louis must be having a change of heart about Berry, since they've been reluctant to honor him considering his criminal history and general unpleasantness as a person. Sounds like they've made the decision to focus on his musical legacy - either that or they never read the old Spy Magazine article.

I didn't post the response to the article.... not everyone is so pleased. There is a group of elders that protested both the statue and the use of city funds for the upkeep on the statue. Because Berry is a felon, don't you know. :shades:

Thankfully those with the power decided to recognize the fact that Berry's contribution to the world at large (and St Louis area pocketbooks) outweighed his crimes in the overall scope of things. :bow:

I love Chuck Barris. He was one cool dude when he was on TV. :cool:

He was so funny when he hosted The Gong Show. I used to watch it all the time.

I also loved other Chuck Barris Productions like The $1.98 Beauty Show and Treasure Hunt.

I couldn't wait for the days to pass, awaiting the next week's show.

chuck_barris.jpg :thumbsup:

Huh? :laughing:

Hey,the guys in his 80's,obviously an as$hole but,this guy (I don't know or believe he started rock n roll)can play a bad a$$ guitar,regardless he should have a statue somewhere

Little Richard? Bo Diddley? What about those guys? :o Or Hendrix?The list could go on and on about this stuff :(