Dan Peek, Founding Member of America, Dead at 60

cyberjudge

Dan Peek, Founding Member of America, Dead at 60

Posted on Jul 26th 2011 2:20PM by Cameron Matthews

Comments

Dan Peek, a founding member of folk rockers America, passed away on Sunday, July 24 Billboard reports. The 60-year-old's cause of death is still unknown.

Peek, who wrote the hit song 'Lonely People,' left the band in 1977 to pursue a solo career in Christian Rock. Former bandmate Dewey Bunnel writes on his website of loss of his friend:

"I am so sorry to learn of Dan's passing. Dan, along with Gerry [beckley] and myself, formed the band America as teenagers after being great friends in high school during the late '60s. It was a joyous time for the three of us, full of excitement and laughter. We created lasting music together and experienced a life that we could never have imagined. Dan was an equal and integral part of that early history, and I have never forgotten the good times we spent making that music and learning about life together."

Peek and his former colleagues reportedly had no bad blood, and were even considering reuniting for their Hollywood Walk of Fame star ceremony next year. America were a breakthrough band, with their first single 'A Horse With No Name' hitting the top of the charts in 1971. The band scored eight Top 40 hits in the first half of the '70s.

"Dan wrote some songs, Dan played lead guitar and Dan sang the high harmonies -- so at the end of the day his contributions have never been questions," Bunnell told Billboard shortly before Peek's death.

After consistently traveling, touring and dabbling with drugs and alcohol, Peek quit the band and became a born-again Christian, embarking on a more righteous musical career. In 1986, he re-recorded 'Lonely People' with verses praising Jesus Christ instead of the original lyrics.

His official website simply states "Dan went to Heaven on July 24." He is survived by his wife Catherine.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I am honored to be Allowed to be a Member of This forum. Being new I will just look around and browse for ALL of the Information that I can get and use from this fountain.

Of course I will Post on Various Issues from time to time when I feel that I have something constructive to say and also in answer to posts from others that deserve a response.!!!

Thank You

Edit: Spam content