Best Outro Or Ending To A Song?

Mr Taxman

Of course I disagree about Prog, which I consider Satan's Musak ;-) Among masters of the outro I would have Lou Reed and VU up top. Stone Roses should be there too. The thing I love about these acts is that just when you think that this great song is coming to a predictable but fine close, they pull out a brand new, but entirely sympathetic, section... a true "coda", that lifts the song to a higher plane altogether.

Layla is another obvious example of the coda, and it is surely the first song that springs to my mind when we are talking outros.

See ya,

LBB

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stone Roses? Outros? I never thought of that. I Wanna Be Adored has a brilliant intro (it was the one that made me sit up and listen to the band in the first place) but I never focussed on their outros (which must be awesome, since they are awesome :grin: )

Stone Roses? Outros? I never thought of that. I Wanna Be Adored has a brilliant intro (it was the one that made me sit up and listen to the band in the first place) but I never focussed on their outros (which must be awesome, since they are awesome :grin: )

I'm thinking of Where Angels Play, I'm Standing Here, and of course I Am The Resurrection(actually, the only par of Resrrection I like is the extended instrumental outro). Love that band! Maybe they were only great for about a year, but what a year it was.

LBBBB

• 2 weeks later...

I think progressive rock bands are the masters of outros (then again, I think progressive rock bands are the masters of pretty much everything :P ). I used to think Supper's Ready by Genesis definitely had the best outro ever, but the song that supposedly inspired Supper's Ready, A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers by Van der Graaf Generator is a serious competitor.

I never really liked the end of Supper's Ready. I'm not really a big fan of fadeouts.

My favourite endings would be Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective and Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt (well it's pretty much just my favourite all-around). I like the way they have a definite ending but the sound reverberates a bit afterwards.

"Hear my train a coming"...Jimi Hendrix..."Voodoo Child" too...Hendrix played thru his amps straight up...outros... Alvin Lee..."The bluest blues"...Rory Gallagher..."I take what I want"...(actually that whole song just smokes)"Keychain" too...and the inevidible "Comfortably Numb"...I've seen this song live by both bands... (David Gilmour w/ Pink Floyd?) And Roger Waters with Eric Clapton,Jeff Beck...and the guy from ARC angels... "Sorry can't remember his name...(Edna's brownies again)...And David Gilmour had the solo down...(I mean wah-wah and fuzz) It sounded like (excuse the phrase) "Blues in outer space" IMHO... Roger Waters... Had a better show" But...He also had 3 guitar players... :stars: Wow...Those "brownies" kicked my ass...I feel like a s**t faced monkey :happybanana: ..."Sorry" for the long post...and "Thank you" again for the brownies... :soapbox:

• 1 year later...

The nicest ending in pop history is in the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band´s hilarious Jazz, Deliciously Hot, Disgustingly Cold.

Second place is for the Rolling Stones, in Mother´s little helper.

Nicest intro of all times: U2 in Where the streets have no name.

Second place is for the Rolling Stones´ Paint it, black.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:cool:

Off the top of me 'ead...:

"The Ballroom Blitz" - The Sweet

"The Strange Boutique" - Monochrome Set

"Hey Jude" - The Beatles

"Now I'm Here" - Queen

"Freebird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

"November Rain" - Guns 'N' Roses

"Comfortably Numb" - Pink Floyd

"EMI" - Sex Pistols