I Am A Rock

_Laurie_

DevilsOveninTheThousandIslands-1.jpg

When we took the boat tour through The Thousand Islands, we went past the island called "Devil's Oven"....I thought that the legend of this island was pretty interesting...

The Legend of the Devil's Oven

The so-called "Patriot's War of 1838" was an abortive attempt by a group of Canadians and United States citizens to wrest Canada from the British Empire. "Canada for Canadians" was their motto. Under the leadership of Bill Johnston of New York and William L. Mackenzie, grandfather of the late Canadian Prime Minister, Mackenzie King, an attack was planned against the British forces. Unfortunately, an overdose of liquid refreshment, imbibed at a victory celebration in advance of the battle, prevented the attack from taking place. However, Bill Johnston and a small band of his followers managed a few days later to sink a British river boat, the Sir Robert Peel, after robbing its passengers and putting them ashore. With both the United States and Canadian officials looking for him, as the legend goes, Bill Johnston hid for nearly a year in a cave, named Devil's Oven, on Devil's Island. Johnston's daughter brought food and supplies to him daily by boat. In reality, Johnston was hiding out on Fort Wallace Island on the Canadian side. The Devil's Oven is too small to live inside. After a year, Johnston gave himself up, was pardoned and appointed a lighthouse keeper in the 1000 Islands.

I Am A Rock (I am an island) ~ Simon & Garfunkel

I Am A Rock

Simon & Garfunkel

Music & Lyrics : Paul Simon

A winter's day

In a deep and dark

December;

I am alone,

Gazing from my window to the streets below

On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

I've built walls,

A fortress deep and mighty,

That none may penetrate.

I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.

It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

Don't talk of love,

But I've heard the words before;

It's sleeping in my memory.

I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.

If I never loved I never would have cried.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

I have my books

And my poetry to protect me;

I am shielded in my armor,

Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.

I touch no one and no one touches me.

I am a rock,

I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;

And an island never cries.

Edited by Guest