Peter Falk Passes Away at 83

_Laurie_

Peter Falk, the Emmy-winning star of 'Columbo,' has died. He was 83.

CBS Radio News confirmed via a family spokesperson that Falk died on the evening of June 23.

Falk was best known to audiences as Lt. Columbo in the NBC/ABC police series. The last episode aired on ABC in 2003.

Besides the hit drama, Falk was nominated for two Academy Awards, for 1960's 'Murder, Inc.' and 1961's 'Pocketful of Miracles.' His last credited film role was the 2009 flick 'American Cowslip' opposite Cloris Leachman and Diane Ladd.

In 1956, Falk made his Broadway debut in 'Diary of a Scoundrel.' Following several films and TV work, Falk won a Tony in 1972 for his performance in 'The Prisoner of Second Avenue.' After 'Columbo,' Falk is probably best known as the grandfather and narrator of 1987's 'The Princess Bride.'

Falk is survived by wife Shera Danese Falk and adopted daughters Jackie and Catherine. After Falk fell ill following a surgical procedure in 2009, Shera Danese released a statement on PeterFalk.com, placing the site on hiatus.

Falk suffered from dementia and late in his life he reportedly could not recall his most famous character, Columbo.

Peter Falk was born and raised in my hometown of Ossining, New York. His parents owned a clothing store in our little downtown area. The town named a street after him about 10 years ago, and he came back for the dedication. He was a very nice man, and a wonderful actor. He will be missed.

Edited by Guest

He has a great library of wonderful film and television work.

I think my favorite is a made-for-TV movie with Jill Clayburgh called "Griffin and Phoenix (A Love Story)" from 1976.

Here's a brief synopsis: Griffin has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Instead of quietly facing his death, he decides to have a little fun in the time remaining. At a college class on death, he meets Phoenix. They start having fun together, when he discovers she has terminal leukemia.

This movie has many dramatic moments and some funny ones as well. It's a great story..tender and sad but also illuminating. Especially if you've known or lost someone to cancer. I highly recommend this film. If you enjoyed The Bucklet List you'll love this even more.