The Future of the Quiz

The Quiz needs to evolve, but we're not quite sure how to evolve it. Entries have declined, as it appears folks don't want to fill in a form to answer complex questions they can't look up on Google.

Two ideas we're considering:

1) Instead of a monthly contest, have it display a random question, which you have just a few seconds to answer.

2) Do themes each month - Rolling Stones, Motown, etc.

Lots of other possibilities, since we have a bunch of questions built up. If you have any thoughts, please post them.

Interesting . . . .

I think both ideas have merits.

the first one is great because it REALLY forces you to rack your brain in a short span.

Themed quizzes are also cool too.

edit: perhaps it could be a "question of the day" (posted randomly during the day" . . . at the end of the week, whomever gets the most questions right wins a shirt?

Edited by Guest

would it be too much work to put together a "name that tune" type of quiz?

I was also thinking of something along the lines of songs that are in our database.... using quotes culled from the Songfacts so the user doesn't ever have to leave the site to find the answer...?

1) Instead of a monthly contest, have it display a random question, which you have just a few seconds to answer.

I like this a lot, and I also like JayMeier's thought of having a question of the day, with a weekly winner, but that would require someone actually being here to post it everyday. I guess it could be posted at random times, and really any moderator that's here could do that at any time. The picture suggestion is good, except we've done much of that in the fun & games thread.

Themes would be fun too.

If it were possible, a quick soundbite of a song . . . with the intent being to guess what song it is.

exactly what I was trying (badly) to suggest with "name that tune." Seems like I asked about this a while back and it would be too much work to make it happen, tho. :crazy:

:stars: :help:

Sound cuts.. hm.. this would be fine if it was done on AIR by a radio station. Since there wouldn't be much problems to play the cut. If we're talking about website we have to know that there is a lot of work before the quiz setup goes live, especially with the sound edit/cuts and the system that will give the user access to them.

But it's possible.

++ Users can listen not only for the tune as whole, but for example part of the lyrics, what type of music instrument is used etc..

The pictures can be looked upon as additions to the questions, as we can never be sure what exactly to look for if there isn't a question.

Themed quizzes are easy to be done with the current quiz system, although i speak only from technical position. I have a vague idea how much time it takes for the preparation of all this information before it is put online.

Question of the day .. Well this idea is fighting the idea of the quiz. It can be done as separate system tho.