The Songfactors Choice Top Ten #261

1. Super Bad - James Brown (1970)

2. Sprawl II(Mountains Beyond Mountains) - Arcade Fire (2010)

3. Criminal - Fiona Apple (1997)

4. Hey - Pixies (1989)

5. Rock and Roll Suicide - David Bowie (1972)

6. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen (1978)

7. So Long - Junior Wells (1975)

8. Gold and Silver - Quicksilver Messenger Service (1968)

9. Fallin' - Alicia Keys (2001)

10. Love Train - O'Jays

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, people. Darryl, Lucky, Tim, Lea and all who have been ruling the Tops. Sorry, I'm forgetting about other songfactors who did lend a hand but I'm tired too... :shades:

Thanks for remembering me Elena. And Farin/Martin did a hell of a lot for the Ten too. It would be remiss to overlook him. :P

And a huge thank you to ALL the people I worked with in the Ten, Top 40, etc. :headphones:

As this may be the last regular Top Ten, I'll have a vote. I really just dropped in to catch Elena to make sure the Spain earthquakes haven't affected her. A fond hello to all my other dear friends too. :)

Finally, great work in keeping the Ten going for so long Lucky. :thumbsup:

1.Twelve Thirty - The Mamas & the Papas (1967)

2.Wonder of You, The - Elvis Presley (1970)

3.Hello Stranger - Yvonne Elliman (1963)

4.Teardrops - Womack & Womack (1988)

5.Don't Stop Me Now - Queen (1978)

6.Goodnight Irene - The Weavers (1950)

7.Love Train - O'Jays (1972)

8.Rock And Roll Music To The World - Alvin Lee & Ten Years After (1972)

9.I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - Beatles (1964)

10.Had To Cry Today - Blind Faith (1969)

1. Lonely Ol' Night - John Cougar Mellencamp

2. Criminal - Fiona Apple

3. Fallin' - Alicia Keys

4. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

5. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

6. This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers

7. Save Tonight - Eagle-Eye Cherry

8. Super Bad - James Brown

9. Wheel in The Sky - Journey

10. Stuck Between Stations - The Hold Steady

I will miss the regular Top Tens, sometimes it was the only way I'd hear new stuff. I agree with the leave of absence, though, participation has been dropping lately. I look forward to the specials!

A big thank you to Darryl, who started all this. I joined with Top Ten #8 or so just to find out about good music I didn't know about, and remember the warm welcome you gave me, Darryl. :)

1. Northern Sky - Nick Drake (1970)

2. Guess Who I Saw In Paris - Buffy Sainte Marie (1970)

3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young (1969)

4. This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) - The Isley Brothers (1966)

5. Twelve Thirty - The Mamas & the Papas (1967)

6. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - Beatles (1964)

7. Wonder of You, The - Elvis Presley (1970)

8. 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be) - Jimi Hendrix (1968)

9. Had To Cry Today - Blind Faith (1969)

10. Teardrops - Womack & Womack (1988)

* Special Top Ten Announcement *

So guys, those of us on the team have been talking, and we've come to a conclusion, one that's been glaring at all of us for a while. We regret to announce that this week will be the last regular weekly Top Ten, at least for the time being. You all know that participation has dropped steadily over the past year or more. What used to be a field of 50 or more nominations has dwindled to an average of 33. We are voting 1/3 of the nominations into the Ten. :P

In addition, we all have real life obligations that are tugging at us. We've come to the point that none of us have the time necessary for the commitment the Top Ten requires. I know, we are sad too. The Ten has become a longstanding tradition here at Songfacts, and we hate to see it end as much as I'm sure you all do. So, to that end we've decided we'll keep things going on at least a limited basis, doing a special, or even a regular ten once or twice a month.

Next week we're planning to do a special, a real special. I'm not sure what yet, but we'll let you know in a day or two. After next week, we'll play it by ear. Maybe this will just end up being a hiatus, who knows?

Good Lord, I've been doing this for 5 years. This is going to seem so strange. :P

I highlighted some of the key phrases Lucky used in that announcement that seemed to get somewhat overlooked. I know if Lucky could she would have already commented herself but she is just really super busy right now and just can't be here as much as she'd like. I don't think she meant everyone to think the top tens are ending forever. At this point, we all just need to take a break but there will be specials being run. We haven't worked out all the details but there is a plan in the works and when Lucky can I'm sure she will let everyone know.

Those of us that have been running the ten just need to take a time out and some of the weekly players may appreciate it as well. That doesn't mean no games will be played ;)

None of us are willing to see it end forever so most likely it won't. Heck I started playing when it was being run by Lucky, Farin, Fin and Laurie. That seems so long ago now. I think I started playing in game #83. Anyway, when Lucky gets time she will most likely let everyone know what decisions have been made. No worries guys :D

Thanks for that Lea ..... I'm sorry I didn't clarify further, earlier. :P I know that this may have seemed somewhat abrupt, and I apologize to everyone for that. It's just that life reared up and smacked us in the face, and it just seems this is the right time for a break for us.

To Tim .... who not only stepped up when he was needed, but has actually been involved with the Ten for quite sometime, with the playlist etc ... many, many thanks, and we wish him best of luck not only with his finals, but with a cool opportunity over the summer ..... good luck kid, and thank you! :bow:

I'm not gonna thank everyone else (although I do, so, so much!), because we aren't going away permanently, we just need a break. Except for Darryl ..... Darryl, thank you for everything, for the game itself, for getting me involved with it, and for what it has done both for us as players, and for the site itself. The Top Ten has been a place for all of us to come together as the Songfacts family. It has done what it was intended to do, enabled all of us to share and learn about the music we all love so much.

Darryl, my Twelve Thirty nomination was a tip of the hat to you .... we've both wanted and tried to get that song in here many times. I hope it makes it this time around. :D

Lastly, I just want to make the announcement regarding next weeks special .... and again sorry for the short notice. As I said above, Tim has summertime obligations, so this would've been his last week anyway. As such, we decided to give the choice for this special to him. So for next week our special will be (some of you might have to dig ...)

Heavy Metal/Hard Rock :rockon:

1. Wheel In The Sky - Journey

2. Hello Stranger - Yvonne Elliman

3. Love Train - The O'Jays

4. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

5. Rock And Roll Music To The World - Ten Years After

6. Lonely Ol' Night - John Mellencamp

7. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

8. Burnin' Sky - Bad Company

9. Rock And Roll Suicide - Bowie

10. Super Bad - James Brown

You know Lucky, if you need someone to do the spreadsheets to tabulate all the votes and the eventual winners every week, I can do that. I have Microsoft Office on my Mac now, so I have Excel. I can PT them to someone every week. I'll even do the threads if you want. I'll just copy the formatting and whatnot from a previous week's thread and just use that.

I will miss the regular Top Tens, sometimes it was the only way I'd hear new stuff. I agree with the leave of absence, though, participation has been dropping lately. I look forward to the specials!

I feel just like you, Jenny... :) But I know Songfcats is our home... and soon we'll organise some party or whatever. We just need a small break... real life is there and we have to fight. I think real life seems to be jealous of Songfacts and its cool cosy vibe... ;)

It's nice to know everyone understands, but also feels the same way that we do. The regular weekly tens will be missed. Pink, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind for later on if we need help.

Anyway, here are the results for this week. Nice that both Elvis & The Beatles made it this week.

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #261

1. Love Train - O'Jays (1972) 80

2. Twelve Thirty - The Mamas & the Papas (1967)

4. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen (1978)

5. Wheel In The Sky - Journey (1978)

6. This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) - The Isley Brothers (1966)

7. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol (1983)

8. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - Beatles (1964)

9. Wonder of You, The - Elvis Presley (1970)

10. Rock and Roll Suicide - David Bowie (1972)

:headphones:

Very nice to see both my noms make it in this week, along with Bowie and Journey.

I have a suggestion for the special next week: Great Cover Songs. You nominate two songs; the original and its cover (or its best cover if there's been more than one). I think we could get some really great noms out of that.

pink, you read my mind, that was my exact thought as well! Don't worry, we're definately going to do that one at some point. :)

I think Love Train deserves to be #1.

Agreed. Fitting for this week too, don'tcha think?

Very nice to see both my noms make it in this week, along with Bowie and Journey.

I have a suggestion for the special next week: Great Cover Songs. You nominate two songs; the original and its cover (or its best cover if there's been more than one). I think we could get some really great noms out of that.

Great!!I'll nominate "You Better Move On" again!! :laughing:

Cool, "The Wonder Of You" finally made it... :thumbsup:

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #261

1. Love Train - O'Jays (1972) 80

2. Twelve Thirty - The Mamas & the Papas (1967)

4. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen (1978)

5. Wheel In The Sky - Journey (1978)

6. This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) - The Isley Brothers (1966)

7. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol (1983)

8. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party - Beatles (1964)

9. Wonder of You, The - Elvis Presley (1970)

10. Rock and Roll Suicide - David Bowie (1972)

:headphones: