Got Any Beatles Questions?

Carl

Friend of Songfacts Seth Swirsky is showing his Beatles documentary, called Beatles Stories, in festivals. He spent a lot of time tracking down people who worked with The Beatles or had something to say on the topic, including Klaus Voormann, George Martin, Denny Laine, Jon Voigt and Brian Wilson.

Seth has offered to answer any of our Beatles questions, which we'll turn into an article on the home page. So if there's anything you'd like to know about The Beatles, here's your chance to ask an expert.

It can be about specific songs, incidents, band members, whatever. I might ask if he really believes "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" has nothing to do with drugs, as John Lennon insisted.

George Martin..

Pete best could not hold a steady beat very well.

Ringo, was a known session drummer, and Martin told the Beatles that he would be used on the records, and they could use Pete as they pleased live... The Beatles agreed with Martin, and Pete was out.

J

From what I understand, Ringo was a member of another local skiffle group the Beatles knew called Rory Storm & The Hurricanes. They knew Ringo and liked him better than Best and decided to go with Ringo after a discussion with Rory Storm.

In fact, that band is where Ringo got his nickname from. Rory Storm (obviously not his real name) enjoyed giving everyone in the band nicknames and gave Ringo his nickname.

I know that part, Rocky... thanks anyways... :cool:

I want to know who took the decission to fire Best and hire Starr. Beatles, producers, manager... and what was the reason? Ringo wasn't a better drummer than Best and he was not handsome. The Beatles owed a lot to Best, they played every night at his mother' s club.

George Martin..

Pete best could not hold a steady beat very well.

Ringo, was a known session drummer, and Martin told the Beatles that he would be used on the records, and they could use Pete as they pleased live... The Beatles agreed with Martin, and Pete was out.

J

Ringo was a known session drummer? Really? :P

There must be some obscure reason... I guess it was Martin's final decission but it seems strange...

I semi-follow a series of short interviews where musicians are always asked the same questions which can be answered in a couple of words, and one of these questions is "What about The Beatles wasn't THAT great?" ;)