Best Producer (music) ?

MindCrime

I'm curious as to that Audioslave album's consistancy, now knowing that Rubin was behind it, I haven't heard anything from it as of yet, but I might consider this on my next album upload. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info :thumbsup:

On a technical level, I don't know whether he qualifies as "one of the best producers of all-time", but I've been a long-time admirer of the work of Steve Albini. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Albini

Albini styles himself as a "sound recording engineer" rather than as a "producer": indeed he is quite disparaging about "producers" generally.

He has been hugely prolific over the last 15 years or so, but his "credits" include work with The Pixies, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, The Auteurs, The Wedding Present, Low, Godspeed You Black Emperor! Mogwai, Bush, The Breeders, The Jesus Lizard, Fugazi, Gogol Bordello, Melt Banana, etc., as well as his own band, the mighty Shellac.

He's an interesting fellow with a unique approach to sound recording (see link above), as well as plenty of frank opinions on the music business generally.

His influence, from his involvement with relatively little-known but undoubtedly seminal "industrial alt-noise" combo Big Black through to his production work with literally hundreds of artists (mainly, but not uniquely, in the alt-rock / post-rock sphere) should not be underestimated.

I really like Tony Visconti. He worked a lot with T.Rex (13 albums) and David Bowie (12 albums plus playing on the single 'The Man Who Sold The World'). Also produced stuff for Thin Lizzy, Sparks, Gentle Giant, The Stranglers, Badfinger, Paul McCartney, Adam & The Ants, Luscious Jackson, Morrissey, The Dandy Warhols and Placebo.