Best Producer (music) ?

MindCrime

Who would you pick for the best record producer?

James Guthrie?s work on Pink Floyd?s The Wall was terrific, he also engineers & covered the remastering. He added elements to the music that hadn't been experienced with before. Roger Waters deserves most of the credit though, for his unique music contribution.

One of the top five I think would be

George Martin - Beatles Producer extraordinaire.

Agreed. He made an immense and indelible contribution to the Beatles sound while helping them to grow as artists and musicians. Also his post-Beatles work is impressive. I don't think any producer was more successful or influencial overall. Definitely one of the best :bow:.

When I think of well produced albums I think of The Wall and Dark Side. Not only the sound quality, amount of sounds and the complexity of the music, but I also pay close atention to the mixing. It must sound full with a good balance of different things to the left and right and a good use of dubs. I listen to at least one album every night on my headphones and the lights off.

I wonder if producers used headphones at all in the early 70s. Many albums of that era had some horrible mixing, especially some Doors tunes which had half the things on one side and the other half on the other side. Sounds good through speakers, but horrible through headphones. The first Pink Floyd was well produced, but with bad mixing as was the second one.

This is a less known album: Ladies and Gentelmen, We Are Floating in Space by Spiritualized. It has some of the greatest producing I have ever heard. It is just grand with everything from horrible feedback guitars to strings and voice choirs, mandolins, organs, you name it. Amazingly enough, I just pulled out the CD and it was produced by J Spaceman, which is the main musician and singer on the band. The guy was in a band called Spacemen 3.

Another less known studio masterpiece is Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. It reportedly cost more than $500,000 to produce and you know where the dough went if you listen to it.

Another highlight is the white album. I don't know the whole story about the album, but I know they had 3 studios going at the same time. It's got such a crystal clear sound.

Enigma and Radiohead come to mind too. There's lots of well produced albums out there.

I wonder if producers used headphones at all in the early 70s. Many albums of that era had some horrible mixing, especially some Doors tunes which had half the things on one side and the other half on the other side. Sounds good through speakers, but horrible through headphones. The first Pink Floyd was well produced, but with bad mixing as was the second one.

I too have noticed this, whenever I listen to a classic rock album on my computer, using headphones, the musical elements will jump from ear to ear & can be annoying. The Doors - Break on Through & Hello, I Love You & Touch Me are great examples of this, the same with various Who & Grateful Dead songs. It does the same thing on my car speakers, but the subwoofer has the same effect.

No, he was the band's manager but his contribution to their success was no less significant.

Back to producers - Phil Spector and Trevor Horn both created era-defining sounds and both became as famous as the artists they were working with. Quite an achievement for a pair of mere knob-twiddlers (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

Thought of another one: Trent Reznor (NIN) is a all-around studio master mind. I like the way he combines electronic sounds with real instruments and the mixing is superb. Unlike much of electronic music which is created digitally and the song is pretty much ready for the CD. I guess that's why most of the electronic musicians produce their own stuff while many 'real' musicians just wanna jamm out ::

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I went to post a new discussion on this similiar topic; prior to searching & found that someone had already posted this thread with related subject line.

Legendary Producer/Engineer Eddie Kramer provided the primary factoring "behind the scenes" material on many top-notch classic albums; recordings included on the following classics:

[*]The Beatles ~ All You Need Is Love (1-track)

[*]The Rolling Stones ~ Love You Live

Jimi Hendrix

[*]Are You Experienced?

[*]Axis: Bold as Love

[*]Electric Ladyland

Led Zeppelin

[*]Led Zeppelin II

[*]Led Zeppelin III

[*]Houses of the Holy

[*]Physical Graffiti

KISS

[*]First demo cassette (before record label)

[*]Alive!

[*]Rock & Roll Over

[*]Love Gun (co-produced w/ Gene & Paul)

[*]Alive II (Simmons)

[*]Alive III (Simmons, Stanley)

[*]AC/DC ~ Highway to Hell (Intentional)

[*]Peter Frampton ~ Frampton Comes Alive!

[*]Woodstock live album

[*]Kenny Olson The Flask - "Match In The Gas Tank"

& many more...

Some do Kevin, of course, this is an alter-reign of audio acoustic expansion, that in a class dignified on it's own, fails with lack of regard in the dismal world of media hype. Proper studio recorded albums require as many as 20 takes per session, before finding the right *pitch* & reverberation/treble for the cut ;)

These years kill me:

The Final Studio Recordings - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Toxicity - System of a Down

Make Believe - Weezer

Out of Exile - Audioslave

Mezmerize - System of a Down

Fijación Oral Vol. 1 - Shakira

Hypnotize - System of a Down

12 Songs - Neil Diamond

Oral Fixation Vol. 2 - Shakira

Nusrat and SOAD in the same year? Neil Diamond, SOAD and Shakira?