Movie Sequels

RockyRaccoon

Silence WAS the sequel to Manhunter. Manhunter just never a splash at the box office, if it was even widely released. I don't think there was any actors of note in it.

Silence of the Lambs II, the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, however, sucked pond water. Bleeeurrrghh.

I thought so.

If you're referring to Hannibal, I thought that was pretty good. If there was a Silence Of The Lambs II that I never heard about, then it's probably good I never heard about it ;)

Silence WAS the sequel to Manhunter. Manhunter just never a splash at the box office, if it was even widely released. I don't think there was any actors of note in it.

Um, the movie starred William Petersen (of CSI fame) and was directed by Michael Mann (who went on to direct The Last Of The Mohicans and Heat). In essence, these are two people far more talented than anyone in Silence Of The Lambs (not including Chris Isaak, who plays a SWAT captain :elvis: ).

I would've never guessed beforehand how "To Live and Die in L.A." (1985) would've ended like it did.

The digital remastered version (2003) has an alternate ending.

One of my all-time favourite movies (original ending)... Willem Dafoe stole the show, IMO. Along with probably the best car-chase scene in movie production history.

It made "French Connection" look like Hotwheels and orange-plastic tracks! lol

This isn't a sequel per se. Sergio Leone used the same archetypal characters, but they were not the same ones from A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More :beatnik:

haha, I was going to reply the same thing - even though I would have said that they're not 'officially' a trilogy, even though many consider it as such.

Also, if that's the case, then "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" would be the prequel of the first two films ;)

(not that it makes a difference, mind you)

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" would be the prequel of the first two films

It came out 2 years after Fistful of Dollars and one year after the other. 64 & 65, then 66 for G,B,&U.

Either way, the notion that this is not a true trilogy is correct.

^ I admit I didn't pay much attention to the other 2, they didn't grab my attention as well.

Good Bad & Ugly currently ranks at #4 on IMDB's Best Movies ever list, as chosen by the viewers. Much more remember-able than the others.

The timelines within the movies are different. In For A Few Dollars More, they refer to Col. Mortimer as being from the Carolinas (i.e., he was already known for his role in the war). In A Fistful Of Dollars, the shipment of US weapons being traded for gold by the Mexican Army probably happened after the Mexican-American War of the 1840s and after the Civil War of the 1860s.

The best film in the trilogy is For A Few Dollars More: the timing/pacing, tight editing, music (the mini carrillon theme from the watch), and Gian Maria Volonte was in this one as well :rockon:

I'm pretty surprised nobody has mentioned Batman and Robin

Does Transformers 2 count? Or are we only talking about bad sequels to GOOD movies?

The Sting II

Any of the Jaws sequels

The Fly II

Ooh! Oooh! Stayin' Alive! AWFUL!

Superman IV

Well, Superman Returns

Every Police Academy movie after the first one.

Okay, I'm stopping before I get carried away.

^^ Actually Batman & Robin was mentioned briefly...

Arnold's Mr Freeze's lines are what made that movie over the top cheesey for me. He kept making really bad puns for cold related words. I like how Schumacher apologized at the beginning of the DVD for this movie.

Anyways, would anyone consider Silence Of The Lambs a sequel to the movie Manhunter? I mean it's the same characters and all. I don't know, I was discussing it with a friend and we ended up determining it wasn't.

The movie Manhunter was based on Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon which was published in 1981 and introduced the Hannibal Lecter character (seven years before the book Silence Of The Lambs ).

The other movie version of Red Dragon where Anthony Hopkins played Lecter seemed like the third in a series after Silence Of The Lambs and Hannibal (it was released eleven years after the SOTL film) but it is actually a prequel in terms of the Harris books chronology.

~thoughtful interlude~

William Peterson fit well in the role he played (Manhunter) but I reckon I'm just a fan of William Peterson.

He's a very intense actor. Anthony Hopkins has his own style, too.

I'm not sure which movie featured Hopkins eating the medium-raw brains of Ray Liotta while he was still alive. Each time Hopkins took another piece of brain tissue, Ray Liotta became more and more oblivious to what was happening to him. Eventually, Hopkins fed Liotta some of his own brain...even though Liotta was beyond the point of tasting anything! It was so well acted and so unexpected!!!

That sequence horrified me more than the 'Lecter books/films which came before or after.

Gruesome genius!

I'm not sure which movie featured Hopkins eating the medium-raw brains of Ray Liotta while he was still alive. Each time Hopkins took another piece of brain tissue, Ray Liotta became more and more oblivious to what was happening to him. Eventually, Hopkins fed Liotta some of his own brain...even though Liotta was beyond the point of tasting anything! It was so well acted and so unexpected!!!

. . . . That was Hannibal .

—— [smaller] Check, this here[/smaller] ——