Movie Sequels

RockyRaccoon

I was having a discussion with a few coworkers about movies and we came to the topic of sequels. We then spent the rest of our shifts naming movie sequels that followed one of two criteria:

1. Were better than the original (e.g. Mad Max 2)

2. Completely ruined everything good about the original (e.g. every Jaws movie after the first one)

I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Thoughts?

Back to the Future was good.

Back to the Future II was better.

Back to the Future III was negligible, but sort of brought everything back around again, so it worked.

Young Guns I was good.

Young Guns II was better.

Grease was sensational.

Grease II slurped mud humps from under lawn pizzas.

Sex and the City I was Fabulous.

Sex and the City II was only mildly Fab.

Is this the type of stuff you're talking about, Rocky?

Indeed.

Though I almost see Back To The Future I and II as the same movie. They're just cut in arbitrary spots.

Terminator II I think was better than Terminator.

I think Aliens might have been better than Alien, though that's a tough one.

Clear And Present Danger was better than Patriot Games.

However, Predator II (aka Predator runs around New York getting chased by Danny Glover) SUCKED.

Though I almost see Back To The Future I and II as the same movie. They're just cut in arbitrary spots.

hmmmm... maybe I've got them mixed up. I'm talking about the one where it took place in the old West. That might have been III. If so, I would like to retract my earlier statement and say

Back to the Future I was good

Back to the Future II was meh.

Back to the Future III was the best.

I also want to point out that sequels, if they change one of the main characters to a different actor, usually don't pan out well for me. I get used to a certain actor and feel sort of let down if they have to go with someone else. :mad:

Maybe it's because of my kid, but animated films come to mind:

Shrek was good and Shrek 2 was just as good, but the last two were meh

Toy Story 2 and 3 each were just as good, if not better than Toy Story

Star Wars, good. Empire Strikes Back, good. Return of The Jedi was the weakest, but the father/son thing was good. The prequels SUCKED

If Dark Knight counts as a sequel, it was the best of all the Batmans, IMO.

I thought Kill Bill 2 was almost equally as good as the first one.

Indiana Jones 2 & 3 were very good, the 4th was entertaining, but not quite as good.

I would be here all day if I listed crappy sequels. One that comes to mind is Caddyshack.

and Major League. Nothing will ever equal the glory that was the original Major League! I bought Major League II thinking it was the first one (didn't see the "II"), watched it and wondered WTF happened. :laughing: Awful flick. I didn't see it, but I imagine anything trying to followup Caddyshack would be pretty bad.

Spiderman 2 was better than the first one. But the third one was terrible.

X-Men 2 was better than X-Men

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan was AWESOME. Star Trek I sucked.

The Godfather Part 2 was at least as good as the original. Though The Godfather Part 3 was terrible.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was as good, if not better than the original

And then there was Top Gun, which was really good. Tom Cruise was excellent, storyline, sidekick, love interest - all quality.

And the sequel to that, Days of Thunder, :grin: where Tom Cruise played the exact same role only under a new name, drove a car instead of flying a plane, sidekick died, love interest not as interesting as in Top Gun, etc. Not so quality.

Am I the only one who thinks that Top Gun sucks? :P

Sequel talk: Obviously the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies are the way to do a franchise. And the Star Wars prequels are the way to ruin a franchise. Indy 4 doesn't deserve all the crap it takes, I think, but it doesn't quite hold up to the first 3. Spielberg should have went with his gut and left out all the CGI like he said he was going to do.

Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan both crafted great sequels to their original Batman films. The Dark Knight is the superior film in the franchise, by far, but it's too bad Nolan's (amazing, yes) films have overshadowed Burton's, because his are worth watching too. And then Schumacher's Batman and Robin is just hilariously bad.

It probably did suck, Tim, really. I haven't seen it in many, many, many years. But at the time it was being filmed, I lived just a couple of miles from Miramar AFB (where it was filmed) so in my part of the world it was pretty exciting.

But that's about it. I'm sure I saw that movie with a very biased sense of what's good and what's not. :grin:

f--- Top Gun, or any Tom Cruise movie that that matter (except Eyes Wide Shut and a couple others)

Schumacher's Batman and Robin is just hilariously bad.

Arnold's Mr Freeze's lines are what made that movie over the top cheesey for me. He kept making really bad puns for cold related words. I like how Schumacher apologized at the beginning of the DVD for this movie.

Hot Shots! made me laugh so hard my face hurt afterward. Hot Shots! Part Deaux made me almost want to leave the theatre before it was over...

I loved Part Deux!! Especially the "Apocalypse Now" scene where Charlie and Martin Sheen are both floating down the same river and shout "I loved you in Wall Street!"

Anyways, would anyone consider Silence Of The Lambs a sequel to the movie Manhunter? I mean it's the same characters and all. I don't know, I was discussing it with a friend and we ended up determining it wasn't.

As a former navy air traffic controller, I can tell you that everything about that movie was wrong. (But drama, not reality is a movie`s goal.) Top Gun lost me when Tom Cruise tried to sing You`ve Lost That Lovin Feeling.

Perhaps the worst premise for a sequel was Weekend At Bernie`s II. Something really stinks about that concept!

Anyways, would anyone consider Silence Of The Lambs a sequel to the movie Manhunter?

Silence WAS the sequel to Manhunter. Manhunter just never a splash at the box office, if it was even widely released. I don't think there was any actors of note in it.

Silence of the Lambs II, the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, however, sucked pond water. Bleeeurrrghh.