Happy Easter

Carl

Oooh, Shawna, there is a very long and complicated answer to your question that I've read but in no way can I relate. There is a formula that is used and there is actually much disagreement as to whether it is actually even correct.

Happy Easter! (so much easier) :D

I've always been curious: since Christ was born on December 25 so we celebrate Christmas every year on December 25; he certainly died (and rose) only on a particular date, so why do we celebrate a different date every year for that? :crazy:

The dates, and many of the traditions, of both holidays are not related to Christianity or anything explicit in the Bible, but rather draw in traditions of the pagans (Celts and Romans, generally) that were converted early in Christianity's history. Christmas coincides with the Roman festival of Saturnalia, and as the Romans had a fixed calender like we do, it falls on the same day every year. Easter coincides with the Celtic festival of Spring, and the Celts used a moon-based calender, hence the shifting dates. The Celtic spring festival is also the source of the eggs and bunnies, as both were symbols of new life. A resurrection holiday and a spring festival for new life overlapped pretty nicely, so that's how that worked out.

And now you know. :cool:

Probably the same people that decided that the four gospels that portray Jesus as divine should go in the Bible whereas the 60+ gospels that don't should be hidden.

Well considering there were a lot of people just pretending to be disciples writing BS things and calling them "gospels" just to mess with all the Christians, they had to weed out the ones with the inconsistencies.

But that would be the First Council of Nicea that determined the date of Easter.

Meh. I don't particularly feel like getting into this. Honestly, any debates about religion and politics are relatively pointless. No one ever changes their minds because of a debate and it just makes people mad.

Everyone seems to think they're experts on each subject whereas many people seem to know about as much on the subject as they know about quantum physics (though this is not referring to anyone here, more towards other people I've spoken with).

I'd rather just talk about music :D

Meh. I don't particularly feel like getting into this. Honestly, any debates about religion and politics are relatively pointless. No one ever changes their minds because of a debate and it just makes people mad.

Everyone seems to think they're experts on each subject whereas many people seem to know about as much on the subject as they know about quantum physics (though this is not referring to anyone here, more towards other people I've spoken with).

I'd rather just talk about music :D

There's about as much "debate" on xstain mythology as there is a debate on whether dragons and unicorns exist. You don't need to be an expert to know the myths from the religion of abraham are like any other myths we learn about in humanities class :beatnik:

bible-nf.jpg