Concerts You've Attended

Elvish

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't mix music and politics. Artists have the right to sing about what they want. They have the right to speak their views up on stage. I don't think it's the right forum, personally. But if I want to go see someone in concert, I go because of their music, not their political views.

I wouldn't let a performer's views keep me from going to see them in concert. You have to lisyen to, what? Maybe five minutes of politics? You get a couple of hours of live music, so it's not a big deal in the broad scope.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diggs - It's cool. Kerry being considered a conservative over there, is why I would NEVER live in Europe.

___ - Yeah, it's Cloud using a cell phone. It's from the new Advent Childeren.

Jr. - I couldn't agree with you more. As I've stated before: "I don't want to pay $13.99 to have propaganda put into my head, accompanied by a bass line." That's why I would never be caught dead buying a RATM or Pearl Jam, etc. CD.

Some of the best songs ever are political/protest songs. If you were to limit your collection so that any band that has made a political statement or protest in their music wouldn't appear, then you'd be losing a lot of music.

Here's just a short list

The Beatles

John Lennon

Pearl Jam

Bruce Springsteen

Neil Young (and all of his bands)

Tom Petty

RHCP

R.E.M.

The Clash/Joe Strummer

Need I say more?(Because I could)

how the hell am I supposed to believe the thoughts of a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts.

I thought you supported Bush?

EDIT- By the way, outta the bands that I listed, most of them are sober. Springsteen, Young, R.E.M., and Tom Petty(he's a pothead, nothing else) have never really had problems with controlled substances, in fact outta that list the only ones that I can think of right off hand that have had a major problem with drugs are The Beatles/Lennon and The Clash/Joe Strummer and RHCP but Keidis has cleaned up.

how the hell am I supposed to believe the thoughts of a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts.

I hate to intervene, but Bush isn't either a drug addict or an alchoholic. I am beginning to have second thoughts on the war though. Like maybe, we should know when to draw the line and let the power we've shown be a deterrant to other terrorists. I think everything up to this point has gone good, but maybe it's time we stop.

I'd really like to see a poll that states the percentage of people who are convinced into giving their vote based on the political message sent by these musicians, I highly doubt it's effective enough, unless they offer some sort of registration booth at the event, that comes with a free promotional product, even then it's affect is still unlikely.

When I said I thought music and politics don't mix, I didn't mean that I'd let it affect they way I listen to my music. I've seen Springsteen and the Dixie Chicks. I couldn't care less what their politics are. If I have to listen to their views for 5-10 minutes....whatever. They see their stage as an avenue to reach alot of people. It's their right, I suppose. I don't agree with it, but I'm intelligent enough to not be swayed.

And MC____, you're probably right, these 'rock the vote' tours or whatever they're called, probably have very little effect on anyone's political views.

These acts are going to sell out, no matter what. If there's a hard line democrat who won't go see an act because of their political beliefs, there's somebody right behind them, waiting to buy their ticket.

Around 14 years ago, when I went to see Tesla or Black Crowes, I forget which band it was, there was this bearded guy with glasses, wearing a Republicans! baseball cap, who came out like almost an hour before the band appeared, & tried telling us about Dan Quayle, everyone there got sick of hearing it, he tried pleading with the audience, but soon enough, water bottles & other objects were thrown at him, & he was booed off the stage. I even saw one guy in the crowd set a towel on fire, as he was ready to fling it. I took it from that point on, that nobody wanted to hear about Quayle & Rock Music being covertly blended together. 28.gif

Well actually, the money from the concert goes to fund the John Kerry campaign. But they were offered tome anywa, so it's not like it's my money. The main reason I didn't want to go because I would have to site through the dixie chix in order to see James Taylor. The politics was just the icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've only been to one and it was great. I saw at the Corel Centre all ofo these bands.

Evanescence

Three Days Grace

Seether

Breaking Benjamin

Man this concert was great I loved all the acts and plus it waas 4 plus hours long. Thanks to Mark for the tickets.

Billy Joel & Elton John (thrice, '95, '01, and '02)

Bruce Springsteen (one of my top 3 favorite shows)

Cheap Trick opening for...

AEROSMITH (the best all-around performance I've seen)

Eric Clapton (GOD. He's GOD. Not "a" god. The God.)

Linkin Park/Hoobastank/I forget who else (the Meteora tour)

Barenaked Ladies

Madonna (who didn't do an encore, which was kinda disappointing. I'd never been to a show where there was no encore.)

John Mayer (thrice)

Dave Matthews Band

And then there's the embarassing ones... *NSYNC (twice), Britney (also twice), Backstreet Boys, and Ricky Martin. My uncle's the president of Philip's Arena so I can usually get tickets to just about anything and sometimes my friends decide we should go to shows like that because it's free and usually pretty funny.

Yeah, Big Tuna, I definately recommend Breaking Benjamin.

I wasn't big on them at the concert, but after picking up thier CD, after the concert, I realized the were great. Finger Eleven and Trapt are also really good. You got some taste man.

Yeah, I agree with Rob, I too went to that concert, me and him went together with our girlfreinds it was my birthday present, we went and Seen Breaking Bejamin, Seether, Three days grace, and Evanescence... I would recommend any of these bads as they all kicked ass!! :rockon:

Hahaha. MC just got refered to as "Big Tuna", hahaha.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, I think that's what they used to call Prince after he changed his name to...whatever that thing was. That's what happens when you change your name to a symbol. Prince got sick and tired of called being "Big Tuna" when he was on line at the grocery store, so he changed his name back. If this doesn't get Mr. ______ to change back to his original name, nothing will.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: