Watch the Live Bald Eagle Cam

RonJonSurfer

At Duke Farms, part of the Doris Duke Estate in Hillsborough, NJ there is a live streaming Bald Eagle Cam...Two of the three eggs have hatched (the third may not at this point). As we speak, the baby eagles are being feed fish from one of the parents...you can watch live right up until the fly out of the nest...you'll be hooked once you watch it:

http://www.dukefarms.org/Education/Eagle-Cam/

It's really funny when the chicks pop out from under Mom (or Dad) and start screaming to be fed. Yesterday there was a large fish in the nest which was dropped in by one of the adult eagles. The nest is along the Raritan River where there are plenty of trout to be caught. The chicks love their sushi.

It is a most interesting viewing experience. I thought I had remembered from school that the healthiest chick is fed and the weaker is normally ignored until it perishes. So it was while I watched. Both chicks raised their heads for feeding, but the parent fed the more aggressive chick at a ratio of about 10 bites to one for the smaller, less aggressive chick. Survival of the fittest starts early.

now that was hysterical! One of them struggled to his formidably large feet, stuck his butt in the air, and proceeded to uh... relieve himself off the side of the nest. :laughing: Way to keep the house clean, little guy. :grin:

Edit: I have been bound and determined to catch Mama or Papa Eagle either landing or taking off. So today I've got the camera on the right hand side of my screen, keeping watch out of the corner of my eye while I'm editing a transcript, and just after the pooping incident my Internet connection went out. So I do the unplug/plug thing to get it going again, and no sooner am I back online when one of the two grownups is already back in the nest - and I missed the landing in that 2 minute stretch because of a crappy connection. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW, there is another cam with eggs about to hatch at any moment. The red-tailed hawk cam is focused on a nest in the middle of New York City. the hawks built the nest on the ledge of a building at New York University, right outside the president's window. Here it is:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/hawk-cam-live-from-the-nest/

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, there is another cam with eggs about to hatch at any moment. The red-tailed hawk cam is focused on a nest in the middle of New York City. the hawks built the nest on the ledge of a building at New York University, right outside the president's window. Here it is:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/hawk-cam-live-from-the-nest/

We got babies...the hawk babies hatched today and were quite late...experts said it wouldn't happen, but they were wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...