Quiz Ending March 2011

Billy from Leesburg, GA was this month's winner and will receive a cool and comfortable

SongFacts t-shirt (compliments of our cool leader, Carl). :cool:

Here are the answers:

1. In the '80s, who had a #1 U.S. hit as a solo artist, as part of a duo, and with a duet?

George Michael:

"Faith" (solo)

"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" (duo as Wham !)

"I Knew You Were Waiting" (duet with Aretha Franklin)

2. Who was the last Canadian artist to have a #1 album in the U.S.?

Justin Bieber

His album, My World 2.0 was #1 in Mar. 2010.

3. What U.S. Top-20 hit from the '70s ends with the work "na", and no other words, repeated for over a minute?

"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" by Journey.

It peaked at #16 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1979.

4. What still-active band that formed in the '90s is named after a kind of creature (not a human) from an '80s movie?

Mogwai - from the 1984 movie, Gremlins.

5. Besides the Eagles, what group with at least one U.S. Top-10 hit in the '80s shares the name of an American NFL football team?

The Jets - "Crush On You", to name just one, hit #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1986.

6. What group won three Grammy Awards more than 10 years after they broke up?

The Beatles - The year was 1996.

7. What famous band got a new lead singer in the '70s and again in the '90s?

Genesis

Phil Collins took over as lead vocalist after Peter Gabriel left in 1975. Ray Wilson (of Stiltskin) joined as lead singer in Jun. 1997.

Journey

Steve Perry joined in 1977 and then Steve Auger in 1998.

8. What song by a U.S. one-hit wonder was featured in a 2004 movie that was set in the '70s?

"Afternoon Delight" by The Starland Vocal Band was featured in the film, Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy when Will Ferrell and The Channel 4 News Team sings it in his office.

Watch the clip here.

"Don't Give Up On Us" by David Soul was featured in Starsky & Hutch when Owen Wilson sings it while playing guitar in his living room.

Watch the scene here.

*Did you know that David Soul was the actor who played Hutch in the original TV series, Starsky & Hutch, in the '70s?

9. In the '90s, what song hit #1 in both the U.S. and the UK when the singer was just 18?

"Genie in a Bottle" by Christina Aguilera.

She was born on 12/18/1980. "Genie In A Bottle" hit #1 in the U.S. in Jul. 1999 and #1 in the UK in Oct. 1999.

10. What song was a U.S. Top-40 hit for three different artists, once in the '50s and twice in the '80s?

"Sea of Love"

Phil Phillips with The Twilights (1959)

Del Shannon (1982)

The Honeydrippers (1984)

Congratulations to Billy and thanks to all who entered the quiz this month. :thumbsup:

Be sure to take the newest quiz by clicking on the Quiz link on our main page. :headphones:

great quiz!!! the number one hit by an 18 yr old is the only one I'm going to admit that I missed. I answered "...Baby one more time" but Brittney was only 17. My mistake.

However, I have to object to missing numbers 4 and 10.

Incubus should also be a correct answer for number 4. And "Dont Be Cruel" was a hit for Elvis in the 50s, and for Cheap Trick and the Judds in the 80s.

Metaljeff,

For Question #4, Incubus wasn't accepted as a correct answer because although there is a film from 1982 called Incubus, the band did not name themselves specifically after the creature from the movie, just after the creature in general.

If we were looking for a general answer to this question, we would have asked, "What band shares the name of a creature from an '80s movie" and then, Incubus would have been correct.

Mogwai specifically named themselves after the creature from the movie, but Incubus did not.

Take a look to see how we worded question #5 about the football teams because none of the bands were named after them.

This question seems to come up in our quizzes whenever we use the term "named after" or "shares a name".

Question # 10 was another type of question that gets a lot of responses because of the wording.

When we word a question as "for three different artists", that is exactly what we are looking for.

If we were looking for 3 or more, we would ask, "for at least three different artists".

We use "a" whenever we don't care how many. We will ask, "name an artist or band that had "a" hit song...", for example.

Question #10 specifically asked for a song that was a hit once in the '50s and twice in the '80s.

"Don't Be Cruel" was not only a Top-40 hit in the U.S. for 4 different artists, not three, it was also a hit in the '60s, which the question did not ask for, so therefore it wasn't a correct answer.

"Don't Be Cruel" chart hits:

Elvis Presley (1956)

Bill Black's Combo (1960)

Cheap Trick (1988)

The Judds (1987)

To some, this wording may be somewhat confusing, but it is very necessary to make the quiz more challenging by narrowing down the list of correct answers, because Google makes it too easy, otherwise.

That's why it is important to read each question carefully.

Another example happens again in this quiz with question #8.

Notice that the question asks for a song that was "featured" in the film.

A song playing in the background of a scene is not featuring a song; something must have made the song stand out, so any answers of one-hit wonder songs that just appeared somewhere in the film were not accepted as correct (examples include, "Chevy Van" from Starsky & Hutch and "Ride Captain Ride" or "Sunshine" from Anchorman).

We do welcome all questions about why an answer wasn't accepted because sometimes there may be more correct answers that we weren't aware of.