Rebecca Black passes Bieber as YouTube's most hated video

Mike

Fast approaching 100 million views.

Sometimes, you find things just when you're not looking for them.

I was amused for at least five or six seconds by the revelation that Justin Bieber's "Baby" was the most disliked video on YouTube--yes, more than 1 million people with nothing better to do than register their hate--when I discovered that Rebecca Black had almost caught her hero.

Despite only being on YouTube for six weeks, the 13-year-old who achieved fame beyond her wildest musings had already registered the magic 1 million.

And then she was gone.

Suddenly, if I tried to click on her now more than infamous "Friday" music video, I was offered the news that the video had been taken down by the user because she had closed her YouTube account.

Could it have been that a mob of half-witted, green-eyed malcontents had driven her away, after more than 64 million views? Might it have been someone amusing themselves? Or might she not want the title of most hated YouTube video?

"Friday"'s removal seems to have happened very swiftly. Even her own new star-slick Web site, RebeccaBlackonline.com, was linking to the blank screen.

It would be rather sad, I thought, if such an iconic piece, a mere frippery of teeny amusement in a nasty little world, had been removed precisely because of the nasty little world.

But, just after I had contacted her new professional management wondering what might have happened, the video reappeared. Had there been a change of mind or a mere technical glitch?

What is clear is that the reappearance revealed that Black now stood at 1,190,767 dislikes, while Bieber's enjoyed a mere 1,163,098.

I am sure it won't affect Black's career, in any other way than positively. She suddenly has so many famous friends, has appeared with Jay Leno and will soon, no doubt, find herself dueting with Bieber on some metropolitan stage. (He even sang a few bars of her song during a concert the other night in Europe.)

But still the venom wafts around like Tiger Woods' spittle. Are there really that many sad little snakes on YouTube's flat-headed plain? Oh, yes, there are.

CNET © 2011 CBS Interactive. All rights reserved.

*WARNING: This video may cause permanent damage if listened to, view at your own risk. Songfacts will not be held liable for damage (neither physical or psychological) cause by viewing.

I have heard the song on Grooveshark. Her voice is not that good and the song is mediocre, but there's no reason to launch such venom at a kid....just don't listen to it if you don't like it.

By the same token, her parents hopefully discussed with her what would happen if put herself out there. The internet allows people to be a lot meaner than normal and remain anonymous.

She's 13 and her parents paid $2000 to a company called Ark Music Factory which basically manufactures music videos for rich kids to make. They have songs pre-written and give whatever is on top of the stack to each customer. For some reason, this one became huge on Youtube. Some things are inexplicable.

This reminds me of a show MTV did about 10 years ago where they would pick a girl and have her recreate a video by a Mandy Moore-type. The girl would lip-sync through it, and it ended up looking a lot like this Rebecca Black thing, except there would have been a skateboarding scene back then.

It's all part of any business. You have to be able to accept not only praise, but criticism as well.

If you can't do that, then the music business isn't for you, or any business, for that matter.

It didn't stop Ed Wood, Jr. from continuing in the movie business and I'm sure it won't stop this girl either.

Justin Bieber was discovered on You Tube when he was thirteen.

She's prolly loving that her video is getting so much attention and it will most likely bring her more attention and fame than she ever imagined, which is good. Good for her! :thumbsup:

Will I get "dorked" if I say I liked it? Cuz I liked it.

Her voice is somewhat irritating but it's still a "catchy" tune. :cool:

From Inside Edition's website:

Rebecca Black's song "Friday" has been called the "worst song ever." But it's a monster hit with more than 69 million views on YouTube.

Love it or hate it, you can't argue with those numbers!

Black's mom paid a record producer just $2,000 to write, record, and shoot the now-infamous video.

So INSIDE EDITION got to thinking, if an unknown 13-year-old can become an overnight sensation by singing such mundane lyrics about her everyday life like waking up, eating cereal, riding to school, how hard can it be?

INSIDE EDITION's Megan Alexander asked music producers the Buchanans, who've worked with top talent like Jay-Z and Beyoncé, to help her record a song just like Rebecca Black's.

Alexander wrote a few, well, ridiculous lines about her daily routine, and the guys came up with the music. The Buchanans worked their magic and voila.

When Alexander first heard the recording, she said, "Wow that's me? Anyone can be a popstar...this proves it!"

Check out the entire music video here:

"Monday" - Megan Alexander

The song will start after the commercial.

• 3 weeks later...

Police are investigating two death threats made against the 13-year-old, who became an Internet sensation with her music video "Friday."

--

(Reuters) - Police said on Tuesday they were investigating two death threats against 13-year-old Internet sensation Rebecca Black over her low-budget music video "Friday."

The threats were made sometime in March, after "Friday" became a YouTube hit and went viral as a web phenomenon, Anaheim Police spokesman Rick Martinez said.

"In essence the threats were related to getting the music off the Internet or they were going to kill her," Martinez said.

"We can't validate how serious they are, but we do take it seriously," he said.

Martinez said officers were "keeping an extra eye out" for Black as they investigated the messages, which were made through her Los Angeles-based production and management companies.

One of the death threats was made by phone and the other by email, he said.

Martinez said that investigators had not yet identified the person or persons behind the threats, but that they could face criminal charges.

"We're going to investigate and determine, number one, the source of the comments and then based on the investigation determine what intent was and where we go from here," he said. "If we believe they were actually intended as threats we will work toward prosecution"

Black was an unknown Southern California middle-school student before "Friday" was released in February by a boutique record label.

The video, in which Black can be seen singing gleefully about her weekend plans and riding in a car with friends, generated more than 110 million views on YouTube even as it was mocked by Internet critics.

Since then Black has made appearances on national television and racked up chart entries in the United States, Britain, Australia and Canada.

Visible Measures, a company that tracks the performance of Web videos, has said that including copies of the video, spoofs and other versions available on hundreds of video sites, "Friday" has generated more than 200 million views -- surpassing Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" and Justin Bieber's "Pray."

© Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters

I'm in the "if you don't like it, don't listen to it" crowd, and honestly, I can't bear listening to it.

Bieber is another story - the kid is cute, he can sing in tune and his songs don't include lyrics about his bowl of cereal and choosing a seat to sit in for the ride to school.

I'm a megadork for thinking he has talent, and I'm completely cool with that :cool: