Album Anxiety

scott

I was just wondering if there has ever been a time where you've been super anxious for an album to come out?

I don't care if it was way back in '65 or as early as last year, just as long as you really wanted that album, and once you got the album, how did you like it? Did it dissapoint you? Or did it surpass even your deepest desires?

Right now I'm suffering a little Album Anxiety for R.E.M.s new release 'Around The Sun' from what I've read about it, it's just gonna be amazing, and I really like their other stuff, even though their last album('Reveal') was kind of a bomb, I really liked it especially the track 'E-Bow The Letter'(one of my favorite songs of all time)

So I have really high expectations for it, evidently they're going back and covering all their styles from their career.

Anyway, discuss 'Album Anxiety' amongst yourselves.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember waiting anxiously for Aerosmith's next album to come out. It was Get Your Wings. Boy, was it ever worth the wait.

Same thing with Lynryd Skynryd Second Helping.

I think though, out of many bands that I waited for next releases, my favorite next albums were by Black Sabbath.

They never let me down, well, until Ozzy left.

I'm very curious as to how refined Audioslave's next effort will be.

Er yeah, no, really...

Do you talk like that in person?

I remember not being able to sleep the night before KISS Destroyer came out. I was around 12 or so. I was in the infancy of my love affair with music and I loved KISS so much, they could have probably released an album of random guitar tuning, and I would have loved it.

While it's one of their best, I still like Dressed to Kill best.

I know, I know, "You like KISS? They SUCK!" It's not like I've never heard it before.

Are they great song writers? No. Mostly Gene Simmons write about sex sex sex, and Paul Stanley isn't much better. Their musicianship isn't going to get them on any 'greatest' lists, either. But I loved them just the same. So did every other kid my age at the time.

What's cool, though, is I had all their stuff on album, and when I converted to cd, I never replaced them. So I didn't listen to them for like, 10 years. Then one day I bought Rock and Roll Over out of the bargain bin, and it was all fresh again. Over the following year, I eventually replaced all their stuff, and now, I'll burn a "new" cd every six months or so. Sometimes, just mixing up the order of songs give a cd an entirely different ambience.

Anyway, sorry for going on a little "in defense of KISS" tangent. I guess I got carried away. When you enlist in the KISS Army, it's for life, I guess.

KISS RULES!! SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!! :rockon:

Oh...ahem..sorry....never saw that coming.

Okay, I thought that I'd be able to cure a little of my 'Album Anxiety' 'cuz the R.E.M. website(www.remhq.com) just put out a stream of the single from 'Around The Sun'(Leaving New York) and I was trying to listen to it, but I don't have the right quicktime plug in(or something like that, and there's no way I can download it!!!!)

So I'm pissed.

:beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady:

As a young thing - barely a teen - I recall anxiously awaiting the release of GnR's Use Your Illision albums. It seemed to take absolutely forever back then. But I guess the Chinese Democracy debacle puts that in perspective (not that anyone in their right mind is anxiously awaiting that!)

I was in LA when the Use Your Illusion albums came out, and I had not seen anything like it ever. The whole of the 'strip' built it up for weeks, and when they came out hundreds of people went down to the big record shop (the name escapes me) and listened to both albums from start to finish, in the street at night!

Regards

I just downloaded a crapload of stuff, and now I can listen to the R.E.M. track, and it was really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really

worth it.

'Leaving New York' is one of the most brilliant singles I have heard in a long time, Michael Stipe goes back to the basics and does some great harmonies 'R.E.M. style'(fans will now what I'm talkin' about) a really stripped down guitar part (Buck's brilliant) and it ends with a very excellent 'R.E.M. mantra'(you know where they texture Stipe's vocals with a new verse and combine it with old parts)

If I can base an opinion on just this single, I say this is the must have album of the year, holy crap the song was that good, I can't wait for Oct. 5th

EDIT-Okay, everybody go to www.remhq.com and click on the 'Leaving New York Preview' and listen to it, and if it doesn't work I will personally guide you through the steps to listen to it, it is that good(you know, that it would actually get me to want to help other people :: =:P) When I think of it, it sounds like a totally beautiful cross between 'Drive' and 'Imitation of Life' it's really melodic(probably the best word I can think of for it)

I remember when Barenaked Ladies' Maroon came out ... I was pretty much obsessed with them at the time. And the CD came out on my birthday, which I thought was kind of fun. Anyway, I nearly exploded the first time I heard Pinch Me on the radio, and I could not wait for the whole CD.

Earlier than that, I was very eager for Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water ... ah, the ignorance of youth.

More recently, Santana's Shaman had me anxiously awaiting its release, especially when I read that Placido Domingo had a song in there.

Lately, though, no real anticipation on my part. Probably because this one-horse town doesn't have a music store.

Currently, I'm awaiting "Genius Loves Company." This will be Ray Charles' first posthumous release and was completed just prior to his passing. He hand-picked greats such as B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, and Natalie Cole for duets on the album. It will be released August 31st.

I hate you :jester: =:P

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ahem.....ladies and gentlemen....I'd like to announce right now, for the next 39 days, Scott is going to be snippy. It will get worse before it gets better. Please do not take it personally, he's just waiting for some music.

Let's all bow our heads together and pray he makes it.

By the way, I waited at least 10 years for the 3rd Boston album to come out.

We've got ten.....do we hear eleven??!!

*tap*tap...Is this thing on?