Band members not in harmony

JumboXL

Rock bands do (did) not always operate in harmony.

Dave Davies of The Kinks and drummer Mick Avory had a fist fight on stage in front of 5,000 people.

He also was (is) not in harmony with his brother Ray.

Another brother fight is known from Oasis.

The Eagles seem to have had a lot of personal controversions, even today, on stage.

One of The Ramones members (sort of) stole the girlfriend of another Ramone.

Tell me mo' 'bout disharmony in rockbands......

Aerosmith has had some well-documented tension between Tyler & Joe Perry. They almost split up and put their album on a long hiatus. It's rumored that American Idol is the reason why they didn't break up, since the show is bringing so much publicity to the band and their previous albums are selling again.

Fleetwood Mac. Evidently during their "Rumours" tour when Lindsay and Stevie were breaking up, Lindsay walked off stage in the middle of a show and didn't come back. The rest of the band was so mad about the unprofessionalism of it they wouldn't talk to him for days following.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, the only members of The Sweet who are still breathing are no longer talking. Bassist Steve Priest operates out of the US and Andy Scott, the guitarist, has Europe. I believe this is by legal agreement.

A tragedy, as they used to be so close, but they have different ideas about how to preserve the band's legacy... :(

skellys60.jpg

ELP aka Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Wiki:

ELP could no longer generate the excitement of being forerunners in musical innovation. Eventually, they drifted apart due to personality conflicts and irreconcilable differences concerning musical direction.

Greg Lake commented on the DVD Beyond the Beginning documentary, about the Works tour that they had lost about 3 million dollars from their pockets. On the same documentary, Keith Emerson said, they(lake and Palmer) still blame him for it, "you and your bloody orchestra".

To go a little more modern, Wolfmother had some problems. After their first album I became a huge fan of theirs, joined their email list, and that August got an email saying "Wolfmother has decided to break up due to irreconcilable differences between the band members."

Andrew Stockdale has continued with a totally different band under the same name. However Chris Ross (bassist/keyboardist) and Myles Heskett (drums) have moved on together to create another band.

It was too bad too because I love the way Wolfmother was on their first album. It's one of my favorites.

The Smiths: Morrissey vs. Johnny Marr

Oasis: the Gallagher brothers

The Police: Sting vs. Stewart Copeland

Japan: David Sylvian vs. Mick Karn

Guns 'N Roses: Axl Rose vs. Slash and everyone else in the band

New Edition: Bobby Brown vs. the rest of the group

Great artists whose synergy made for great albums. As solo artists? Eh, not as much :beatnik:

• 1 month later...

It goes alway back to The Everly Brothers, who were known to fight backstage in the fifities and sixties

During a gig, Phil announced to an audience that, `I don`t want to be an Everly anymore!` and then walked off the stage. After some years at solo work, they successfully reunited for an Albert Hall concert in London. Have been close and performing together since.

Heck, the Righteous Brothers split up, for pete`s sake!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...