So the people of the valley

Sent a message up the hill,

Asking for the buried treasure,

Tons of gold for which they'd kill.

Came an answer from the kingdom,

"With our brothers we will share

All the secrets of our mountain,

All the riches buried there."

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end. There won't be any trumpets blowin', come the judgement day. On the bloody mornin' after...

One Tin Soldier Rides Away.

Now the valley cried with anger,

"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"

And they killed the mountain-people,

So they won their just reward.

Now they stood beside the treasure,

On the mountain, dark and red.

Turned the stone and looked beneath it...

"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,

Go ahead and cheat a friend.

Do it in the name of Heaven,

You can justify it in the end.

There won't be any trumpets blowing

Come the judgement day,

On the bloody morning after....

One tin soldier rides away.

Coven first recorded One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack) - 1971

--

The first release came out in 1971, along with the film. Then, ?One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack)?made the Top 30. A newly recorded version in mid-1973 also charted, as it a late-'73 reissue of the '71 original. Coven had no other chart hits, whether singles or albums.

For a completely low budget film, that was one bad ass movie! It affected anyone under the age of 25 pretty deeply. The underlying message as well as the lessons taught to the rednecks by BillyJack. There is a remake coming out starring The Rock. Think it will have the same effect on people? I think not. ;)

"Billy Jack" is a great movie. I still watch it every chance I get. And that Tom Laughlin - what an actor. He had the potential to be the next Richard Roundtree. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There was a prequel to that movie, but I can't remember what the title was. Anybody? Billy Jack had to protect his young lady friends from a gang of rogue bikers. It was silly, and nowhere near as good as "Billy Jack", but it was cool to watch.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

• 3 weeks later...

I have two items to add here. One, it would appear that there are, or were two groups called Coven. I have the lp by Coven called Witchcraft put out by Mercury stereo SR 61239. It is stated inside as being the first Black Mass to be recorded. The album is from 1969. Obviously, One Tin Soldier is not the starring single on this album. So, my best guess is that there were two groups. My second point is that a young lady name of Skeeter Davis (yes, the one that sang "The End of the World") came out with an album called Bring it on Home in 1972 which begins with "One Tin Soldier" It came out on RCA LSP-4642. So, I wonder if there were any other singers who filled their albums up with this song around this time.