What's Your Oldest Concert T-Shirt?

Carl

Remember when concert T-Shirts cost $15 and would last pretty much forever? Now they can be $35+ and are flimsier than OJ's alibi.

Please look in your closet and tell us about the oldest concert T-shirt in your collection.

I lost some along the way, but mine is from the 1999 Bruce Springsteen E-street Band reunion tour. It's holding up much better than the Killers shirt I got last year.

What a good subject for a thread!! :cool:

I'm so old I can't remember what my first concert t-shirt was... :shades:

I had a Stones t-shirt from a concert in France in the early seventies, but it was my boyfriend's... a friend brought another Stones T-shirt for me in 1975 from the tour in America...

I guess all my t-shirts were promo, not from concerts... and I'm a S size, so it was complicated for me to find...

Actually most of my T-shirts said "Zildjian", "Ibanez", "Korg" or "Roland" :laughing:

My husband has a nice collection from the early eighties: Cure, Sex pistols, iron maiden...

But my fave one is my Songfacts t-shirt... :cool:

Remember when concert T-Shirts cost $15 and would last pretty much forever? Now they can be $35+ and are flimsier than OJ's alibi.

Please look in your closet and tell us about the oldest concert T-shirt in your collection.

I lost some along the way, but mine is from the 1999 Bruce Springsteen E-street Band reunion tour. It's holding up much better than the Killers shirt I got last year.

I woulda thought for sure you'd have much older concert shirts.

I gotta late start when it comes to going to concerts. My first concert was Depeche Mode's 2001 Exciter tour and, even then, I didn't know about the whole ritual of buying the trinkets that go with the tour, soooo... I've been attending concerts for years without getting the shirt! And when I became aware of the merchandising, I'd often forget to bring cash (a lot of these guys don't take credit card).

I recommend bringing cash and buying the bootleg merchandise outside the venue. Often, they'll have shirts in your size and with the design of your choice. Example, I went to a Death In June concert back in June 2004 and all the official shirts were large and extra large, and the design I was looking for was sold out. That kinda sucked. Here's the bootleg shirt of the band (no tour dates on the back, though):

dij1.jpg

Friend of mine was a security guard at that concert whose job it was to go around and confiscate bootleg merchandise.

That's a good guy to know.

BA, I was surprised I didn't have a few shirts from the '80s or early '90s in my closet, but stuff disappears when you have the gypsy lifestyle.

The first and only concert t-shirt I've ever spent money on was for California Jam II, 1978, Ontario, California. I was 15. Come to think of it, I didn't actually buy the shirt myself. :crazy:

Lineup included

* Ted Nugent

* Aerosmith

* Santana

* Dave Mason

* Foreigner

* Heart

* Bob Welch (with special guests Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood)

* Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush

* Rubicon

And many more, but I couldn't even remember all of these without looking them up. Long weekend it was.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to buy more concert shirts, but I don't spend a lot of money on clothes. The only one I've ever bought was at The Thermals (Portland indie band, relative success in the indie world because of good Pitchfork reviews) show in 2006. It was $10 and I still wear it today. But the pit stains are so ridiculous on it now that I pretty much just wear it to shows.

I lied earlier. I did buy another concert shirt - it's an RCPM shirt.

I pretty much just wear it to shows.

I wore my RCPM shirt to an RCPM show once and I was told it was bad form to wear the concert shirt of the band you're seeing. :crazy:

Of course, maybe it was just bad form because it was me. :puppyeyes:

I guess it technically is true, or at least for whatever reason has become a consensus amongst concert goers, to wear the band shirt of the band you're going to a concert to see. Even worse to wear the shirt that you bought at the show. But I've done both and in my opinion it's even worse form to be a snobbish dick and point out that someone is making some sort of arbitrary fashion mistake.

pilaryyo-1.jpg

That's me and my big nose with my Songfacts t-shirt... :grin:

And this is me smiling at one of the sweetest, most beautiful person at Songfacts!

Nice to finally put your face to your careful words, edna!

The sparkle in your eyes is exactly what comes from your posts!

Thank you,

Marcus