Powerful earthquake hits Japan

Farin

I saw it on the news just before I was going to bed. It was horrific. I was hoping Kevin and his family were on high ground and didn't get shook around to much :(

Now this is what is really starting to annoy me no end. After the huge tragedy happening in Japan I thought it would be all over our news stations this morning. But oh noooo all our news stations are sitting on our coastlines talking about every inch or water that may seem out of the norm. We're talking inches here not feet.

We're safe you idiots move on!!!

After seeing what happened to those poor people in Japan last night seeing nothing on our local stations but ankle deep lapping waves is just ridiculous. :beady:

I heard this morning and my first thought was Kevin...and then I heard it was heading for Hawaii and though about Oto..I am also thinking about all you west coasters, too, like Marc, Lucky, Bluesy, Lea, Karma and Batman. I have some cousins in California. They are not near the coast, but I am thinking of them all the same.

I'm not the praying kind, but I send my thoughts and best wishes out your way and hope you stay safe

No big waves here at the beach in north San Diego.

I can't imagine what a 8.9 magnitude earthquake would feel like, so totally scary and helpless. Even for us earthquake old timers where it doesn't get out attention until it hits about 7.0

Yes , both Yoomi and I are fine .

The apartment got trashed -like someone had come in and vandalized it , but all in all , not too bad -mostly just broken glass and piles of books after cleaning up . We had no power , gas or water for most of yesterday. This morning , so far, everything is back except water .

So ,don't let most of those tv images worry you . Those weren't the effects in our area very much .

I was actually outside golfing when it hit , and Yoomi was working at the hospital , so we likely couldn't have been in better places if we had planned to . :D

Let you know more later . Internet and phone service is spotty , and I hope they can keep the power going . Its kinda neat watching CNN talk about YOU for a change . Maybe I can meet Anderson 'bad news ' Cooper . :D . Later .

Did you finish your game, Kevin? Glad to hear that you and the missus are OK. I have some family in Tokyo that I just heard from as well, so I can relax a little, at least for the people I know. Looks like I will be sending off another check to the Red Cross.

Yeah, of course Marc . No safety issues on the golf course. To be honest ,it was pretty cool feeling the ground buckle , vibrate and waves pass under your feet. During one jolt, I tried to walk and it was exactly like when you are really loaded or dizzy and trying to walk . I was just out of the city in the suburbs/countryside at the time and had no idea if there was any major damage , but guessed there must be somewhere . Feel a little silly now for laughing and enjoying it so much at the time . The other golfers thought I must be nuts . :D

Got up this morning and went to the supermarket . Huge line-ups , but I was there early . Weird watching the controlled panic buying of some people ( some were a bit much though ) . Fortuntely , we are pretty well stocked up already and I've considered for years what I would buy/loot or need in case just such a thing happened. I bought a 15 gallon plastic jug for water and the wife can fill it at the hospital she works at . Oddly , no one else seemed to think of buying one -nor batteries ( for my Coleman lantern if the power goes out again) but you can't buy a cup noodle for 20 square miles around here :laughing: .

Lots of aftershocks though . Most are small , usual tremors Im used to, but some step it up.About 2 or 3 an hour now . Fortunately, theres a public park right next to me...my new 'facilities ' . Feel like I'm back in the army or camping . :laughing:

Right now , the biggest concern is that nuclear reactor's possible meltdown if they can't cool the core .It's only 150 miles away .If that blows , all the little inconveniences right now are nothing . Also ,I just bought 3 cans of beer , and sure enough they blew a bit when I opened them -all shaken up . Thats a drag . :P :laughing:

Great haiku ,Steel ! :thumbsup: :cool:

Boy , you aren't kidding ,Farin . :o

As for this volcano , I dont know what kind of news you guys are getting , but there isn't a single word of any volcano troubles here . :confused: And even if there were , I'd gladly take that over the power plants troubles being 120 miles or so from the site .

Worse comes to worst , I hope it'll at least give me super -powers or something ... ;)

Right now , however , my thoughts -and I hope yours - are with the technicians who are being rotated in and out of that place likely getting a years dosage of radiation in 2 hours and no idea of what that will mean but doing it anyway . I've often said the word hero is often overused today , but not in this case . They are not only helping Japan , but perhaps the entire world to varying extents .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExH7h9Lk5HY