"It Hurts To Say Goodbye" - Vera Lynn- Margaret Whiting

edna

Hello my fishies... :bow:

I'm trying to find some right info about this song: "It Hurts to say Goodbye" . Written by Arnold Goland and Jacob Gold, recorded by Margaret Whiting on her album The Wheel of Hurt (1966).

Covered by Vera Lynn in 1967.

By Françoise Hardy in 1968.

...by the Communards as well and many others. But I'm interested in the origins, not the 70s or 80s covers...

Now, in a couple of youtubes, here and here they say it's from 1954... while on each and every other site they mention 1966 as the original release -a track of Margaret Whiting's LP "The Wheel of Hurt (1966)"- ...and 1967 by Vera Lynn.

Do any of you older fishies, by chance, remember or have a clue? I'd be very thankfull and vote for your next noms in the next Top... :cool: :laughing:

Thank you so much in any case... :bow:

Hello, Edna.

Those 1954 entries on the web for Vera Lynn's version are incorrect.

I don't know where they came up with 1954 for Vera Lynn's version because the song was released in the U.S. on her United Artists album, It Hurts To Say Goodbye (#UAS 6591) in 1967 and a 45-rpm (#50119) was also issued in 1967 with "In The Snow" as the A-Side and "It Hurts To Say Goodbye" as the B-Side from United Artists.

In my books, it states that the Arnold Goland Orchestra was used on Margaret Whiting's album, Wheel Of Hurt.

On the web, it states that Arnold Goland and Jack Gold produced Whiting's Wheel Of Hurt album.

I also found that a 45-rpm single of the song was released on the United Artists label in 1967 in France (#38.008 UAF) by Arnold Goland with "The Honey Pot" (from the 1967 film of the same name) as the A-Side and the song, "It Hurts To Say Goodbye" as the B-Side.

This 45-rpm (#50203) by Arnold Goland was also slated for release in the U.S., but it was not issued.

Hello, Edna.

Those 1954 entries on the web for Vera Lynn's version are incorrect.

I don't know where they came up with 1954 for Vera Lynn's version because the song was released in the U.S. on her United Artists album, It Hurts To Say Goodbye (#UAS 6591) in 1967 and a 45-rpm (#50119) was also issued in 1967 with "In The Snow" as the A-Side and "It Hurts To Say Goodbye" as the B-Side from United Artists.

In my books, it states that the Arnold Goland Orchestra was used on Margaret Whiting's album, Wheel Of Hurt, released in 1966.

On the web, it states that Arnold Goland and Jack Gold produced Whiting's Wheel Of Hurt album.

I also found that a 45-rpm single of the song was released on the United Artists label in 1967 in France (#38.008 UAF) by Arnold Goland with "The Honey Pot" (from the 1967 film of the same name) as the A-Side and the song, "It Hurts To Say Goodbye" as the B-Side.

This 45-rpm (#50203) by Arnold Goland was also slated for release in the U.S., but it was not issued.

Thank you so much, Brad... :bow: :bow:

That's a really helpfull info :thumbsup:

Edna,

In my middle paragraph, I just edited out the year 1966 for Whiting's album.

My book shows that late 1966 was the year that her 45-rpm single, "The Wheel Of Hurt" was released, not the album.

Other info that I've found on the web from many different sites that have the album for sale from many different sellers show the actual album was released in early 1967.

That would still make Margaret Whiting the first to record and release the song.