Depeche Mode best era

addictedII80s

Renown by who and unlike what other bands?

By observation :)

Compared to their New Wave/Pop Rock peers such as Duran Duran, OMD, A-Ha, Pet Shop Boys, Spandau Ballet, Talk Talk etc who had strong first releases. I doubt someone would mention the albums by DM issued in the period 81-83 as favorite, but anything can be.

Their peak was Violator, I think... in album sales, at least. I heard more of those singles from that album played to death on the radio for decades to come. Funnily enough, no matter how many times I hear "Personal Jesus," "Policy Of Truth," and "Enjoy The Silence," I never got sick of them (except for maybe "World In My Eyes"). The early stuff up to Black Celebration was practically flawless, though. They remain some of my favourite songs of all-time. From Music For The Masses and on they began to jump the shark (with Ultra and Exciter being their worst) :headphones:

By observation :)

Compared to their New Wave/Pop Rock peers such as Duran Duran, OMD, A-Ha, Pet Shop Boys, Spandau Ballet, Talk Talk etc who had strong first releases. I doubt someone would mention the albums by DM issued in the period 81-83 as favorite, but anything can be.

I think OMD also had strong mid-period albums. "Tesla Girls" and "If You Leave" were from the mid-80s (not many can name "Electricity" and "Souvenir" nowadays). Same goes for The Pet Shop Boys - actually, they're going real strong now; their latter albums sound just as good, if not, better than what DeMode has been putting out. D2's "Wedding Album" from 1993 was almost as good as their first coupla albums, although they've been definitely more of a singles band with a lot of album and b-side fillers after Rio. The problem with Talk Talk/Mark Hollis is that the radio didn't play any of their other singles after "Talk Talk" and "It's My Life," but if you've been collecting their albums, you'll see the quality has been steady (unlike DeMode's spotty record) :headphones:

Their peak was Violator, I think... in album sales, at least. I heard more of those singles from that album played to death on the radio for decades to come. Funnily enough, no matter how many times I hear "Personal Jesus," "Policy Of Truth," and "Enjoy The Silence," I never got sick of them (except for maybe "World In My Eyes"). The early stuff up to Black Celebration was practically flawless, though. They remain some of my favourite songs of all-time. From Music For The Masses and on they began to jump the shark (with Ultra and Exciter being their worst)

yes, I agree almost on everything you said. We can see real evolution of the band up to Violator. However, Black Celebration is imo rather monotonic (sometimes boring) to be flawless.

The problem with Talk Talk/Mark Hollis is that the radio didn't play any of their other singles after "Talk Talk" and "It's My Life," but if you've been collecting their albums, you'll see the quality has been steady (unlike DeMode's spotty record)

You're right. From the " The colours of Spring" point, they sound quite different, I'd say it's not even pop music! This is post rock or something like that... Some could consider such a bend to be decrease in quality because the band sacrificed catchy "New Romantics" tunes.