The White Stripes Break Up

Farin

February 2, 2011, 1:03 pm, nytimes.com, Link

[bigger]Red, White and Blue: The White Stripes Break Up[/big]

By BEN SISARIO

White Stripeswhitestripes.com Jack and Meg White, in simpler times.

A moment of silence for the White Stripes, please.

The band, consisting of the not-really-brother-and-sister Jack and Meg White, have not released an album in almost four years, and on Wednesday they formally announced on their Web site that they have broken up.

“The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health,†the two said in their statement. “It’s for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.â€

As diehard fans know well, Jack White has been very busy in recent years with his two other bands, the Dead Weather and the Raconteurs, as well as his record label, Third Man. He also recently produced the new album by Wanda Jackson, the 73-year-old Queen of Rockabilly.

The statement from the ex-Stripes added, “Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from the White Stripes in their Vault subscription record club, as well as through regular channels.â€

Before going their separate ways, the Whites concluded: “The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.â€

“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.â€

That's a nice way of putting it.

To be honest, this doen't come as a surprise. The White Stripes have been out of the spotlight since they stopped touring because of Meg's fear of flying. Jack remained in the spotlight with his various side projects and it was clear these project occupied ALL of his time.

I'm still sad they decided to just end it after a few years of silence. It would have been great if they made one last album, I'm sure they still have it in them to produce another gem.

Jack is a traveller, I fear that the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather will, eventually make place for other bands involving Mr. White.

One of my favourites: Blue Orchid

Look for them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2024.

This might be for the best if Jack keeps doing what he's doing.

I remember thinking I was cool because no one in America cared about them but I had their albums because I read about them in Mojo in the days when the press still thought they were brother and sister.

Maybe this isn't their greatest song, but I just love it:

Little Room