Most influential song and artist of the 60's/70's?

Crovax

The mother of all Viet Nam songs is Country Joe McDonald and the Fish, "The Fish Song"

One verse is,

Come on all of you big strong men,

Uncle Sam needs your help again. Got himself in a terrible jam Way down yonder in Viet Nam

Be the first one one your block

To have your boy come home in a box

Or something to that effect.

Actually jr_o_d, that's the I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag (<).

The Fish Cheer (<) is "gimme an F" etc.

Unlike the Woodstock version, they originally spelled F-I-S-H.

Here's the history of both from Country Joe hisself.

Wow,

Thanks alot so far!

While we're on the topic of woodstock, does anyone know any documentaries on the subject or documentaries on concerts/festivals at the time?

I know of sunbury and woodstock, anything else?

Cheers!

Thanks alot for everything so far!

The Monterey Pop Festival video and The Rolling Stones At Altamont, although that maybe Part of Rolling Stones documentary. I don't know for sure if there is a video on it alone. But you could research it. The music and the politics of the time were all rolled in to one( unlike now ). You could pick any song listed here and it would be pertinent in some way. It's up to you to figure out how. Hope it comes out well!! :thumbsup:

OK, thanks ALOT for all that help, but I've got another favour to ask. Because you're all SUCH nice people ;), is it possible that you could direct me as to where I could find images and footage of the 60's and 70's on the internet? The assignment i'm doing has to be in a video form....

A note about "Ohio":

Jerry Casale, who is a founding member of Devo, was there, and hearing him describe what happened that day made me realize that America is not quite as free as I thought it was. The government of Ohio got away with it by declaring Martial Law, which means anything goes - no constitutional protections apply.

Please read the Songfacts to get a first person account. The scary thing is, this could easily happen again.

I am biased, but i would say, My Generation and Won't get fooled again were pretty 'new' in their time. In political and social comment; and indeed musical progress. The use of key changes inGeneration and Synth's in WGFA were ground breaking.

Saying that, Ray Davies of the Kinks is very under-rated in his influance on his peers.

Bob Dylan -Like a Rolling Stone, Blowin in the Wind, Masters of War, and The Times, they are a changin

Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction

Scott McKenzie -If you? re going to San Francisco

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction

Doors Light my Fire

Dion - Abraham, Martin and John

Simon and Garfunkel - I am a rock

An awesome time to grow up. An awesome list of songs.

• 2 months later...

The actual influence of woodcrock on Culture has been, deservingly, minimal. Outside of the industries that continue to profit from its myths, there is nothing lasting to show for it.

The music of lasting value being created today deliberately scorns the muddled "message" proffered by the "flower generation". If you want influence, there is John Cale. He worked with minimalist composers LaMonte Young and John Cage in the '50's, the Velvet Underground, and most significantly, he produced 4 of Nico's seminal albums between 1968-81: The Marble Index, Desertshore, The End, and Drama of Exile .

Nico's Marble Index is considered by many, including myself, to have made a lasting impact on Culture. It is a pivotal record that informs the myriad forms of goth, industrial, noise, modern classical dark folk, etc. Her lyrics are protypes for ritualistic disections of the psyche that is so common today in alter-no-tive musick.

There is also Tim Buckley, Gram Parsons, Merideth Monk, Sun Ra, Charles Mingus, Suicide, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Kraftwerk, Can, Scott Walker, Leonard Cohen, Lee Hazelwood, etc.

As for film, the best film about the letdown of woodschlock is Withnail & I . It blast the myth completely to shreds and is bloody entertaining as well.

Good luck on yer assignment,

G.F/4

My youth paralleled rock and roll and I recall vividly while everyone was doing the "Twist" or dancing to "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" or tapping their foot to a French nun singing "Dominique" along came Gary US Bonds with this gutsy, jazzed rocker, "Quarter til Three" and suddenly music came to life!

No list of influence could exclude the following: Johnnie Ray, who made singing with actual emotions acceptable. Ray Charles, who melded melodies from jazz, blues, coutry and rock with lyrics about real life experiences not just pie-in-the-sky dreams. Roy Orbison, who paved the way for falsetto by men as a valid singing style when all around were these macho voices trying to grow courser, darker hair. And the predeccesor to Bob Dylan, Arlo's dad, Woody Guthrie, who in the late 50's - early 60's, introduced politics to melody in America.