Most influential song and artist of the 60's/70's?

Crovax

The Times They Are A-Changin' by Bob Dylan

Man Bazooka, you wasted no time in hitting the nail on the head. Couldn't agree more. That song personified the 60's and early 70's like no other. It was the rallying point for most of young America.

A 70's song that also had a big impact on the thinking of us all was Ohio by CSNY.

But Dylan was the Man!

This isn't a song or artist, but Woodstock was like a big end of decade bash. I think the artists, the fans, the place, the time, the moon, stars, galaxy,etc, all lined up for 3 days, and created one big harmonious hug. It was the culmination of a decade of change. Too bad the 70's had to come along and ruin it.

I have to agree with the above posts that the songs which had the most influence on people, and reflecting the mood of the times were The Times They are Achangin', Blowin' in the Wind by Dylan, and Ohio by CSNY.

The artists with the most influence on music as a whole would have to be Hendrix, the Beatles, and the Beach Boys, each representing a different style and genre of rock music.They opened the eyes of musicians to really see what rock music could be.

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown

It helped open the doors for Hard Rock. When it came out in the late 60's, Led Zeppelin was criticized by Reviewers & listeners alike, who thought the album had too much feedback & wasn't strong enough for the music scene, but it started a music revolution that lives on today.

Wow!

So much feedback!

I was primarily after songs that were political, you know?

Songs that really caused or encouraged movements against things like Vietnam and the government?

Thanks alot so far!

Keep those suggestions comming!

Cheers!

Political!!?? (in the voice of the doorman on the Wizard of Oz) Well why didn't ya say so!!??

The mother of all Viet Nam songs is Country Joe McDonald and the Fish, "The Fish Song"

One verse is,

Come on all of you big strong men,

Uncle Sam needs your help again. Got himself in a terrible jam

Way down yonder in Viet Nam

Be the first one one your block

To have your boy come home in a box

Or something to that effect.

Oh, Dave some riot? You and Crovax need to read the article at www.spectacle.org . It wasn't a riot so much as a slaughter. I was young and had to go back and read this to get my facts straight. Thrteen students and protesters were slaughtered by the national guard, sent in by the governor of Ohio. This was done in response to some rocks being thrown, and an attempt to burn the ROTC building. The murderers were never brought to justice. Some riot? You guys need to read this. Crovax, your paper could center around this song alone. It happened May 4, 1970, right smack in the middle of you time period. A sad day in US history. :( :(

Dave that was going on all over the country, it was the times, the protest against the war.And the 13 kids that were killed weren't the ones doing the damage. They were conducting a peaceful protest on the college campus. If you didn't live during the time you probably won't understand. Many protests did turn ugly on both sides, but this particular one wasn't like that. The governor overeacted.