2011 Golden Globes

CanAm

I'm not a huge Ricky Gervais fan, but he did a brilliant job as the host of last night's Golden Globe awards. He skewered many of the celebrities in attendance and his remarks were hilarious and, for the most part, true.

Most movie stars take themselves way, way too seriously. They love to fawn (usually insincerely) over one another, but most are incapable of laughing at themselves. Apparently, Tim Allen, Robert Downey Junior and Tom Hanks were among those not amused by the antics of Gervais. Too bad!!! Get over it!

I doubt very much that Gervais will be asked again to host the Golden Globes ceremony. That's indeed a pity, since he is the first host to inject some humour and life into an otherwise tedious and moribund production.

I completely forgot the show was on - not that I'd have watched, anyway. :crazy:

I just youtubed the opening monologue, though... I laughed most of the way through it (the Hugh Hefner bit was priceless!) but there were a couple of comments that toed the line even for me...

In my opinion, though, Ricky Gervais is PDF (pretty dang funny). I've liked him since I first saw him in "Night at the Museum" a few years back.

I watched. Seems like Gervais did not hear or read President Obama's most recent speech about toning down the rhetoric for the sake of civility; which is good, because had he done so, he probably would have skewered Obama as well.

It seems there will be no end to insulting others as a form of humor. The tone trend seems to be a deepening to the cuts, more blood letting as shock humor can now only progress by hurting more. Less viciousness might no longer be acceptable to jaded audiences who relish this act. Problem with that sort of "style" is that it does not endear the comic to the audience. Make them laugh for a moment, yes. Endear, no.

I (respectfully) disagree. His variety of insult-comedy (which he usually only brandishes during these kind of events) is perfect for award shows, which are usually masturbatory exercises of self-aggrandizement for celebrities who think they're more important than they really are. There's a difference between him making fun of a washed up "comic" like Tim Allen and Rush Limbaugh calling the President a terrorist.

Ricky Gervais is generally hilarious in any situation. I didn't watch the show, but from the clips I've seen, he was hilarious in this situation as well.

^^ that was funny .... in fact I found him to be hilarious throughout the show. They hired Ricky Gervais. They got Ricky Gervais. They also got a fairly successful show ratings wise (at least compared to other years). How often can they say that?

I love his style of humor. I don't think a single one of the people in that room should take themselves as seriously as some of them do. They should be able to laugh at themselves, everyone should be able to laugh at themselves. And Ricky Gervais seems like the type of guy who thinks that as well and is not afraid to perhaps offend a few people in the name of humor.

I (respectfully) disagree. His variety of insult-comedy (which he usually only brandishes during these kind of events) is perfect for award shows, which are usually masturbatory exercises of self-aggrandizement for celebrities who think they're more important than they really are. There's a difference between him making fun of a washed up "comic" like Tim Allen and Rush Limbaugh calling the President a terrorist.

Ricky Gervais is generally hilarious in any situation. I didn't watch the show, but from the clips I've seen, he was hilarious in this situation as well.

Oh, he was definitely funny. Just not endearing in the manner of Bob Hope, Billy Crystal, Steven Wright, Jerry Seinfield or Ellen Degeneres. That was my point. His has that odds defying risk factor that acerbic comics like Lenny Bruce, Don Rickles, Rosie O'Donnel or Dennis Miller use. It is part of their attraction.