2011 In Music

RockyRaccoon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can never decide how I feel about this band. First of all, I tend to react against these hyped buzz bands just out of contrariness (exceptions include Vampire Weekend and Los Campesinos! when those bands were first starting and they were on every single hipster blog on the internet). Also I've never heard anything by them I haven't enjoyed, but also I haven't heard anything by them that I've especially enjoyed, you know what I mean?

I can never decide how I feel about this band. First of all, I tend to react against these hyped buzz bands just out of contrariness (exceptions include Vampire Weekend and Los Campesinos! when those bands were first starting and they were on every single hipster blog on the internet). Also I've never heard anything by them I haven't enjoyed, but also I haven't heard anything by them that I've especially enjoyed, you know what I mean?

I really enjoyed the album, you should give it a shot. It's a great album, though it has a weak spot or two. On occasion the guitars and drums are so loud the vocals are almost impossible to hear. But it's a very good album, I kinda like the sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Thurston Moore released a solo-acoustic album called "Demolished Thoughts". It's produced by Beck which sort of gives it a similar feel to Charlotte Gainsbourg's last (also Beck-produced) album. At the same time, it's basically what you would expect if Sonic Youth recorded an acoustic album and traded in distorted noise for violins.

Benediction

Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine's second album, "Enhanced Methods of Questioning", doesn't stray too far from the Dead Kennedy's formula, except it does have some weirder, more psychedelic moments. It's also not nearly as good as the Dead Kennedy's at their prime. The album ends with an 18-minute hidden track that is just ponderous and bland, despite the Doors homage in the middle. Worth hearing if you're a DK fan, not worth buying though.

Dot Com Monte Carlo

Gillian Welch has been absent from the scene for eight years, apparently due to writers block. She got over it, and wrote "The Harrow and the Harvest". It was worth the wait. Most people probably know her from her contributions to the "O Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack or her critically acclaimed album "Time (The Revelator)". This sparse, melancholy bluegrass album doesn't stray far from the formula set by those efforts, but it does incorporate some other styles, notably the blues. The lyrics in every song are crushingly sad.

The Way It Goes

Hard Times

Edited by Guest

"Within And Without"- Washed Out

3.5/5. Cool sound, though the vocals are near impossible to hear which is obnoxious. It's alright though.

"Amor Fati"- Washed Out

"Go Tell Fire To The Mountain"- WU LYF

4/5. These guys sound is kind of a culmination of a lot of indie rock bands. I'm not huge on the lead singers voice. But I like it overall, it's really cool.

"Spitting Blood"- WU LYF

"I'm With You"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

4.5/5. I was wary of RHCP without John Frusciante. But this is very good. The new guitarist doesn't try to imitate Frusciante, he does his own thing and it's good. It's a good album overall.

"Brendan's Death Song"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Tha Carter IV"- Lil Wayne

4/5. Good rap album if you're a Lil Wayne fan. Been a long time coming. They've been building up this album for awhile. Good album though, like I said, if you like Lil Wayne. It is fairly prototypical Lil Wayne.

"6 Foot 7 Foot"- Lil Wayne

"Jeff Bridges"- Jeff Bridges

5/5. Very surprising album. And very excellent album. Jeff Bridges has a great voice and the music is very good, very cool. Produced by T-Bone Burnett and you can tell. Sounds a lot like the Robert Plant & Alison Krauss album "Raising Sand".

"What A Little Bit Of Love Can Do"- Jeff Bridges

Danger Mouse and Danielle Luppi's (with Jack White and Norah Jones) "Rome" is one of the more creative albums of the year. It's basically the soundtrack to the best western that hasn't been made yet.

Roman Blue

Two Against One

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks new album "Mirror Traffic" is good, but disappointing after their amazing last album. Still, for whatever reason, I prefer the Jicks to Pavement. Worth a listen. Also, Beck produces this one too, so it's basically a 90s explosion.

Senator

Danger Mouse and Danielle Luppi's (with Jack White and Norah Jones) "Rome" is one of the more creative albums of the year. It's basically the soundtrack to the best western that hasn't been made yet.

Roman Blue

Two Against One

I want to hear the album in it's entirety. I love Two Against One, and have heard just a bit of some of the other tracks. Nice work by all the artists. :thumbsup:

"I Am Very Far"- Okkervil River

4.5/5. Really good album. They kind of sound like The Avett Brothers but a little more complex.

"Lay Of The Last Survivor"- Okkervil River

"Underneath The Pine"- Toro Y Moi

4/5. Really interesting sound. Little jazzy, still maintains itself as indie rock though. Good album.

"How I Know"- Toro Y Moi

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks new album "Mirror Traffic" is good, but disappointing after their amazing last album. Still, for whatever reason, I prefer the Jicks to Pavement. Worth a listen. Also, Beck produces this one too, so it's basically a 90s explosion.

Just listened to this album last night and I'm going to have to agree with you for the most part. I personally still prefer Pavement, but I thought this album was really really good.

Here were my favorites:

"Asking Price"

"Tigers"

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of stuff:

"Wounded Rhymes"- Lykke Li

4.5/5. I know I'm real late to the party on this one. I liked it a lot though. The complexities are excellent.

"Sadness Is A Blessing"- Lykke Li

"I Know Places"- Lykke Li

"Young Love"- Mat Kearney

3.5/5. Meh. Decent pop. Really took a great turn with this song though:

"Rochester"- Mat Kearney

"Ravedeath, 1972"- Tim Hecker

3/5. Kind of interesting instrumental album. Similar to The Album Leaf, though not as good. Gets boring after awhile.

"Let Them Talk"- Hugh Laurie

4/5. Hugh Laurie does really well here. An album of old blues classic.

"You Don't Know My Mind"- Hugh Laurie

"A Dramatic Turn Of Events"- Dream Theater

4.5/5. Dream Theater hasn't disappointed me yet and they continue to impress. Really really good album. Not necessarily as heavy as one might think.

"Far From Heaven"- Dream Theater

"Breaking All Illusions"- Dream Theater

"Green Naugahyde"- Primus

4.5/5. Gotta say, I love Primus. Very quirky and fun, great album.

"Jilly's On Smack"- Primus

"Eyes Of The Squirrel"- Primus

"Post Mortem"- Black Tide

3/5. A huge album of pure mediocrity. It's like someone sucked all the awesome out of Black Tide and turned them into everything that's bad about Bullet For My Valentine.

"Kaputt"- Destroyer

4.5/5. One of the most original albums I've heard all year. Really cool album.

"Poor In Love"- Destroyer

"Savage Night At The Opera"- Destroyer

"Black And White America"- Lenny Kravitz

3.5/5. Just Lenny Kravitz doing Lenny Kravitz. It's alright, nothing terribly special though.

"Rock Star City Life"- Lenny Kravitz

"Sea Of Memories"- Bush

3/5. Nothing special at all. Just mediocre.

"David Comes To Life"- F***ed Up

3.5/5. Weird sound. The screaming of metal with the sound of indie rock. It's not bad though. Every song is the same on the album though, and it's a long album. It gets tedious after awhile.

"Queen Of Hearts"- F***ed Up

• 2 weeks later...