2011 In Music

RockyRaccoon

I listened to the new Lady Gaga album. It was HORRIBLE.

And I liked "The Fame". But this, this is just crap. Outside of two songs. "You And I" which features a little Brian May (and it was produced by Mutt Lange) and then "Edge Of Glory" which features good ol' Clarence Clemons :)

The rest of the album sucked though. BIG TIME.

Also listened to the new Journey album. Very mediocre. It's like their new lead singer took a series of cliches and strung them all together with various conjunctions. Though the guitar work was AWESOME as per usual.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad news: Steven Tyler's new solo single is offensively bad. If you don't understand why Joe Perry isn't talking to you right now, Steve, you haven't read your own book (which I have). Go apologize, make more Aerosmith music, and never, ever do anything like this again: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songreviews/it-feels-so-good-20110525

The good news: My Morning Jacket's new album, Circuital, is freaking fantastic. Fleet Foxes have finally have some competition this year.

Victory Dance

Circuital

Outta My System

Saints and Sinners - Flogging Molly

Speed of Darkness is a solid album, but maybe a little too well produced. It doesn't have the edge of their first three albums, or the brilliant songwriting of Float, and as a result there's nothing instantly memorable like there generally is on a Flogging Molly album. Still, if you're a fan, pick this one up. The general formula is still there.

In Codes and Keys, the new album from Death Cab For Cutie, Ben Gibbard finally successfully merges his pitch-perfect pop rock with his glitchy electronic Postal Service leanings. It's pretty great. It's also surprisingly happy for a Death Cab album, but I guess I would write happy songs too if I were married to Zooey Deschanel.

Doors Unlocked and Open

Monday Morning

St. Peter's Cathedral

Edited by Guest

Coldplay released their new single today, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. I think it's fantastic, and hope the new album (as yet untitled) will follow in the same vein.

Also, Joss Stone's new album LP1 will be released on July 26th, and you can watch a sneak-peek at the making of the album here -->

She co-wrote and co-produced with with Dave Stewart from The Eurhythmics, and it was done in 6 days.

The Starf*cker album is great, "Reptilians." Every song is a glorious pop anthem. I'm really shocked these guys haven't blown up with this album. It is like MGMT if all their songs were the radio-ready hits. The song structure is way more poppy, but in terms of instrumentation and stuff like that it's just as psychedelic. Really great stuff.

My favorite album of 2011 so far is definitely "House of Balloons" by The Weeknd. It's a really dark R&B album filled with creepy slow jams about coming down from drugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0mnZnJ_S54

The album I'm looking forward to most this summer is definitely The-Dream's new album. Can't wait to see what he does. His new song is as Prince as anyone not named Prince can get in the 00s.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my two favorites from both of those albums. I don't know if these are necessarily your favorites Tim, but these are what I liked:

"Reckless Serenade"- Arctic Monkeys

"Brick By Brick"- Arctic Monkeys

"That Someone Is You"- R.E.M.

"Blue"- R.E.M.

By the way, new Moby album is really good. Not as good as his old stuff, but better than what he's put out recently.

And new Weird Al is very funny, as per usual.

Just got back from vacation and listened to a few albums on the beach:

"Torches"- Foster The People

5/5. Great album, almost sounds a bit like MGMT.

"Pumped Up Kicks"- Foster The People

"Stone Rollin'"- Raphael Saadiq

4/5. Really cool sound, though the songs tend to sound like the same song over and over again on occasion. Good though.

"Stone Rollin'"- Raphael Saadiq

"This Is Gonna Hurt"- Sixx: A.M.

5/5. Just freaking awesome. Great great album. I loved it.

"Oh My God"- Sixx: A.M.

"If Not Now, When?"- Incubus

4/5. Good, but not great. A lot calmer than most Incubus albums. Sounds more like Brandon Boyd's solo album.

"Adolescents"- Incubus

"Leveler"- August Burns Red

4.5/5. If you like metalcore, this is the album for you. Such a good metal album. Only one or two songs I didn't like.

"Empire"- August Burns Red

• 4 weeks later...

On january 7th I said

I'm still waiting for Amy Winehouse to react...

...and I posted this on June 23rd...

... I guess I can forget about Amy Winehouse's comeback... :P

...and Tim said this a couple of hours later... :P

Yeah... Cocaine is one hell of a drug.

She was my fave bet.

I know, wrong thread...

Edited by Guest

New album by tUnE-yArDs "w h o k i l l" is really good. Very strange, yet really good. 4.5/5

Definitely a sound I've never heard before from a band.

"Powa"- tUnE-yArDs

By the way, TOTALLY thought the lead singer was a guy.

I did not like "Let England Shake" by PJ Harvey much at all. Really not interesting and mediocre. 3.5/5.

"Belong" by The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart was really good. Better than their debut I think. 4.5/5.

"Anne With An E"- The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

"Smoke Ring For My Halo" by Kurt Vile was good. Very interesting folk music sound. Sounds like if a member of Fleet Foxes went solo. In the words of a Youtube commenter, if folk and shoegaze had a party together, did the nasty got pregnant and had a child, that child would be Kurt Vile. 4/5.

"Baby's Arms"- Kurt Vile

New album by tUnE-yArDs "w h o k i l l" is really good. Very strange, yet really good. 4.5/5

Definitely a sound I've never heard before from a band.

"Powa"- tUnE-yArDs

By the way, TOTALLY thought the lead singer was a guy.

I liked it too, thanks for the suggestion :)

I did not like "Let England Shake" by PJ Harvey much at all. Really not interesting and mediocre. 3.5/5.
and I actually liked that too... not comparable to her best albums, but still very interesting