Gerry Rafferty: no longer stuck in the middle

JumboXL

Singer-songwriter Gerry Rafferty, whose songs such as Stuck in the Middle with You, Baker Street and Get it Right Next Time soundtracked the 1970s, has died aged 63 after a long illness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/04/gerry-rafferty-dies-aged-63

And may I say, off topic, that the Music News Forum, may be needing a neighbouring "Obituary" forum.

There's a lot rock heroes gonna be goin' away, I'm afraid, in the years to come.

You're so right, Jumbo... :P

We're getting older and most of those musicians we loved when we were young and not os young have passed away.

(Yesterday it was Mick Karn's turn, he was 52)

Gerry Rafferty... thank you for the music :bow:

One of these days, I want to go to a park and release balloons for him. I've even thought about writing a love song for him. May you rest in peace, sweet Gerry Rafferty, and may the light of your sweet soul shine down on me. I sure wish I could've had that opportunity to meet you. I'm gonna miss you, but I know eventually we'll meet each other one sweet day. I will see you up high in the friendly skies, Gerry.

I doubt whether anyone will know until/unless an autopsy is done. He was known to have had a lifelong battle with alcohol, so I believe that natural assumptions are being made by the press. He'd suffered from a long illness, who knows what that was? If it was natural causes, then the public may never know, it is private health information. He probably died (again, an assumption) from "complications from alcoholism" which encompasses an awful lot, including liver and/or kidney failure. I think that often they don't pin it down further than that.

Until an autopsy is done (if it is), no one will know for sure the actual cause of death.

His funeral is today in Paisley, Scotland. And I have something that I wish I could send to the St. Mirin's Church. I plan to record this and play it this afternoon. Notice that the segments followed by "...", stand for "I'm about to cry some tears!".

This is probably the most important thing ... I’ve ever done in my life!

Every since I heard the story about him suffering that long battle with liver failure, I was shocked out of my mind! When Gerry gave his all, and sang his songs from the heart, I thought he had done well with the statements he made.

If it wasn’t for his statement ... there wouldn't be any peace and harmony in anyone. ...

Don’t pay any attention, this is probably gonna happen from time to time ...

And I also respect him for the honest man he wants to be and the loving man that he is,

He will always be honored ... Deeply Honored!

And I do realize that he’s not what people think he is. What that means is ...

In some people’s hearts, He may be just an ordinary average guy, but in my heart ... he’s forever Gerry Rafferty! What I believe is, Gerry’s statement was taken the wrong way, and that those idiots who took his statement as a threat had better straighten up! Gerry’s bold statement was a definite sign of bravery. And for the sake of anyone who knew who he was ... it was a sign of confidence! If I didn’t like him, then why would I be sayin' all this sweet stuff about him in this beautiful song that I wrote? Some people thought that ... Gerry was only making a statement to be taken to heart.

For your information, what they don’t understand, is that he made a statement that should never be teased or joked about. The average listeners simply took his statement, and literally passed it off as utter nonsense. ... Gerry’s statement specifically said, and I quote, All I want in life, and all I want in this world ... is for everyone to love one another and live in perfect harmony. If anyone had been listening carefully, they’d take their chance to realize ... That there is not a moment, where in any of his conversation ... he would’ve said anything that was full of baloney. I believe that the average listeners were only trying to stretch the truth a little ... Because Gerry was only innocently reciting what he wanted, not just for himself, but for everyone around the world. What I believe is that, Gerry was only taking his chance ... to bring the love back to the world! People were thinking he was an idiot ... And that he had no right on Earth to make his statement in the streets of Scotland. I believe what people don’t realize is that ... he was only trying to make something very clear! I once told a friend of mine, that I always wanted to have that opportunity ... to meet Gerry, and to sing a duet with him. This friend of mine told me, that anything is a possibility. She said to me, if you put your mind to it, you can do it! However, now I feel that I can't, because I know that ... he's flown away, high up in the Friendly Skies. Every night, when I fall asleep, I dream of walking on the beach in Australia, with Gerry by my side. And every night in my bedtime blessings, I shall say to him these words. ... May you rest in peace ... sweet Gerry Rafferty. And may the light of your sweet soul shine down on me. I sure wish I could've had that opportunity to meet you. I'm gonna miss you, but I know eventually we'll meet each other one sweet day. ... And when I die, I will be with you then. I will see you up high in the friendly skies, Gerry. In conclusion, I would like to say, when I was a child, there was this story in a Weekly Reader ... And it was called “The Most Unforgettable Sweetheart I’ve Ever Metâ€. ... And for me that person ... is Gerry Rafferty! And no matter, what happens to me on my Judgement Day ... There will always be, the sweet lovely voice of a pure heart, with a love so soft and tender. And to this day, no matter how long I live, or who I meet in my life ... that person will always be, Gerry For Me! Thank You!