1980s

goldfinger

yes but the Seagulls posted one fabulous,

classic song in "I ran"

I used it in my Posh video

http://www.mediafire.com/?v1kv1o5ap5xu5oz

funny thing about that song... the intro is

1 min 30 sec plus ..... ! thats got to be a record !

at the heart of so many of these 80s groups seems to be the synth..

Maybe Gary Numan really blew everyone away

with the synth in "Cars "

He kind of showed everyone what was possible.

that's another example... Gary Numan's biggest hit in UK/Europe was Are 'Friends' Electric? (as Tubeway Army), not Cars like in the US

anyway, b-f, it's true that most people associate the the 80s with... questionable choices in music. But that's really the case for most other decades as well, isn't it? ;)

Also you don't even have it so bad, what music did Germans accomplish in the 80s? NDW, NDW, Modern Talking, Ein bisschen Frieden and NDW :P

lol, don't worry I'm giving Germany enough credit all in all :D (and you're right with Kraftwerk of course, only they didn't play such a fundamentally significant role in the 80s)

Plastic Bertrand is from Belgium, not France ;)

But from your question "what did the French contribute to pop music" I guess that you're not generally a fan of contemporary electronic music?

Daft Punk, Air, Justice, St. Germain (a personal favourite of mine) or Phoenix...

that's taking us away from the general topic here, but all in all I think French music has a similar 'problem' as German music has when it comes to international acclaim: If the lyrics aren't in English your chances are slim to get well known outside of your country, no matter how successful you are there ;)

Incidentally, I lived in France right in the middle of the 1980s and there was no shortage of decent native music to be heard, entre autres:

Les Ablettes, Les Rita Mitsouko, Kas Product, Jad Wio, Minimal Compact, Oberkampf, Bocal 5, Lucrate Milk, Les Thugs, Single Track, Berurier Noir, De Medicis....

In the cold light of day, A Flock Of Seagulls were relatively crap, and there is no justification for celebrating them thirty years on.

:grin:

One potentially interesting thing about them is that they took their name from a fragment of a Stranglers lyric ("Toiler On The Sea"). :thumbsup:

Let's not discount the hair.

But what did the French contribute to pop music ?

I agree with you... rock and roll doesn't sound very French... Now, if we talk "pop" music, we're very good. We' re the Top chansonniers... (Brassens, Polnareff, Gainsbourg, Gréco, Aznavour, Hardy, Dutronc, Berger, etc.)

character0242.gif

And the bands BF mentioned are also quite "respectable" though I don't think their contribuition to the 80s sound was that important.

There's also Manu Chao (Mano Negra)... he started in the 80s.

Lio and her pop.

Etienne Daho, Niagara, Indochine, Elli et Jacno...

And there's a great rocker: "Quand T'Es Dans Le Désert" - Jean-Patrick Capdevielle

You never mentioned Jaques Brelle.... pure genius

and Jean Michel Jarre .... (France's Vangellis)

I didn't mention Jacques Brel, though he's among the Gods... because he was Belgian too.

But I should have done it.

Brel was a genius.

Like Brassens. Like Gainsbourg.

...and after all, Polnareff, Gainsbourg et Distel sont russes et juifs, Montand was italian, Johnny Sylvie from Bulgaria, Aznavour from Armenia, Adamo et Johnny from Belgium, Picasso from Spain...

Jean-Micheal jarre... yes, he was important by then... a bit too much mainstream maybe?

French or belgian, I consider them as French. They sing in French.

what music did Germans accomplish in the 80s?

end quote

In a way Germany, like France , did nt contribute a lot to pop music but by the 70 s Germany was a very rich country and a big market for pop music.

All the big acts seemed to go over there to try and pocket some of those lovely Deutchmarks and of course Disco was the big thing.

Also I have a feeling that even today... German TV is bigger and richer than even UK TV

.. probably technologically more advanced too ?

Ive been watching german TV by satellite since the 80s.... I missed out on French tv prob because they were on secam whereas Germany were on PAL like the UK.

Did the big acts make it to Paris in those years ... as much as they made it to Berlin ? and Hamburg ? I doubt it !

Did the big acts make it to Paris in those years ... as much as they made it to Berlin ? and Hamburg ? I doubt it !

You mean, did important bands play in Paris?

...of course they did... all of them... in Paris and in the South too...

I saw many concerts in Paris, Blondie, Lou Reed, Violent Femmes, Ultravox, U2 ( :P I was there as a rock critic, I don't like U2...) in the 70s and 80s...

No I mean acts going to the TV studios...

German TV have lots of acts from the 70s who went there to perform... Suzie Quatro, George Harrison..

some fab TV of Abba and tons more.

there was a tv show called Disco where they all appeared and old reruns of the show are still shown weekly on for eg ZDF THEATRE CANAL

GO HER

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/8/0,1872,1501000_date:20110110-page:2-seg:0530,00.html

i THINK in the 70s German TV were way ahead technologically and very rich too.

They have a regional TV set up ... much like the UK and ( I think ) ZDF is Germanys

equivalent to our BBC ( Gott help them ! )

But what do I know about French TV ...?

being secam I never got to see any of it !!!

There's probably a great scene going on .. based in Paris that I'm not aware of.

Sacha Distel .. wot a charming guy.. very popular here in England .. and one hell of a jazz guitarist . Sadly he died much too young.

Charles Aznavour... another French charmer and a great chanson song writer... very popular here in England too.

I couldn't tell you about music TV shows in France in the 80s, I wasn' t living there by then... I know "Les Enfants du rock"... but that's all.

During the 80s I worked in some music TV shows in Spain, and one of my duties was to be informed about what other tvs in other countries were doing. And there isn't much I can remember in that field...

But as you say, there was amazing TV shows from the UK, Germany and also Netherlands...

Aznavour et Distel, two big ones!! :bow:

Sacha Distel was the nephew of Ray Ventura, a jazz icon in France. He also had beautiful eyes and a lovely voice and happened to be a famous playboy. His dad was a Russian jew (who happened to be a very close friend of my grandad, also a russian jew... :cool: )

Didnt Sacha have a big affair with Brigitte Bardot too in the 1970s ?

I mean... how good can it get ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liX20LLqW1A

Sacha was probably the best looking guy in all of

France back then !

In Germany there is a big Slager scene... which I suppose could translate as traditional type music

folk type music but its very big and very popular .

Singers like Gaby Gabinsky... Gitti und Erika.... Fernando Express....Lena Valaitis...

Ireen Sheer... Kristina Bach.... Cindy und Bert

and a host of others. (forgive my female bias ! )

I suppose even many of the Germans call it cheesy and kitch but it puts a bit of glam and music into the TV schedules and I'm all in favour of that.

go check out Bluesilver

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueSilverstar

Bluesilver posts a ton of these singers up on U tube every week.

Over in UK we just dont seem to have a similar traditional background.... pop and rock music dominate... they get rich like Bowie and Jagger and immediately emigrate to a tax haven.

We are left with Simon Cowell and X factor for a bit of music and glam......... pathetic is nt it ?

Maybe the Chanson is France's equivalent to the German slager ?

No I mean acts going to the TV studios...

German TV have lots of acts from the 70s who went there to perform... Suzie Quatro, George Harrison..

some fab TV of Abba and tons more.

there was a tv show called Disco where they all appeared and old reruns of the show are still shown weekly on for eg ZDF THEATRE CANAL

GO HER

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/8/0,1872,1501000_date:20110110-page:2-seg:0530,00.html

i THINK in the 70s German TV were way ahead technologically and very rich too.

They have a regional TV set up ... much like the UK and ( I think ) ZDF is Germanys

equivalent to our BBC ( Gott help them ! )

Germany has two major public broadcasting actors: the (nine, I think) regional broadcasters which work together in the ARD consortium and the ZDF

I can't really compare the TV landscape here to that of the UK, especially in the 70s or 80s because I don't really know much about it... naturally

As you said, given that Germany is/was a rich country with a large populace (for a rich European country) it's no wonder that the market it too big to be ignored by many international - in this case I mean US and UK - artists, so of course they did quite some concerts and appeared in TV shows (which might or might not have been of a higher quality than those of other countries... I don't know).

But that's not really an excuse to just import good music and not have something high quality self-produced music, right?

(of course that's exaggerated, but not really wrong either ;) )

I can guarantee you, if you want to buy a random "Best of the 80s" sampler of German music, then at least 80-90% of its contents will be NDW - even though that period actually only lasted for one or two years max ;)

...btw does anyone actually know what NDW is? or am I just throwing that out without anyone having a clue what I'm talking about? :D

Didnt Sacha have a big affair with Brigitte Bardot too in the 1970s ?

I mean... how good can it get ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liX20LLqW1A

Sacha was probably the best looking guy in all of

France back then !

Sure, he was BB's famous lover...

and he sung lovely songs...

"La Belle Vie" - Sacha Distel

...he was a very good looking guy, yes... just like Alain Delon :cool:

I hate Alain Delon... how can someone so attractive also possess so much acting talent?! It's just not fair :puppyeyes:

:laughing: :laughing:

BIG UP TO BRIGITTE... she was a movie

star but she also did a lot of singing too

Love this song

could it be written by Serge Gainsbourg ?

"Mr.Sun" was written by - E. Goldsen, J.-M. Rivière and G. Bourgeois.

But gainsbourg wrote "Comic Strip" , "Bonnie and Clyde", "Harley Davidson" or the great "Appareil à Soupirs".

In fact, the infamous "Je t'aime moi non plus" was written by Serge for her... she didn't want to release it and Jane Birkin did her version...

...but that was in the late sixties... :)