St Vincent

blind-fitter

Annie Clark is a hugely-talented multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter who performs under the name St. Vincent. (She named herself after a line in the TV show Arrested Development, fact fans). Annie Clark has previously worked as a member of The Polyphonic Spree and Sufjan Stevens' touring band, before branching out on her own as St Vincent. She has also worked in collaborations with Amanda Palmer :bow: :bow: :bow: , Bon Iver and The National, amongst others, and has opened shows for the likes of Television, Arcade Fire, Midlake,Death Cab for Cutie, Grizzly Bear, etc.

Pitchfork described St Vincent's 2007 debut album as "an art-rock album at times redolent of prime Kate Bush and Lodger-era David Bowie",(and who am I to argue?), praising "its brilliant production flourishes and impeccably left-field arrangements".

Whilst the Pitchfork review for the 2009 follow-up album, "Actor", is well worth reading for a better idea of what St Vincent is about: Link to Pitchfork Review

I find both albums make quite compelling listening. This is recognisably "pop-music", yet it strikes a fine balance of (superbly-crafted) slightly avant-garde instrumentation, elements of potentially discomforting challenge to pop's natural order, with a definite accessibilty which draws the listener in.

From a purely personal perspective, it doesn't doesn't hinder matters that St Vincent is utterly gorgeous and enunciates beautifully. However, I'm loathe to cheapen this review by dwelling too much on the baser issues of sexual attraction. :content:

Here are some clips to whet your appetite:

"Actor Out Of Work"

"The Strangers"

"Laughing With A Mouth Of Blood"

"Marry Me, John"

"Marrow"

"Jesus Saves, I Spend"

Great stuff! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, some time has passed and I'm still listening to St Vincent a heck of a lot. Her "Strange Mercy" albumwas probably my favourite album of 2011.

Here is a video for one of themany great tracks thereupon: "Cheerleader"

Another couple of Strange Mercy album tracks, from the 4AD session: "Surgeon"

"Strange Mercy"

Another of my album favourites:"Northern Lights"

• 1 year later...