Places for Songplaces!!

Shawna

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake Charles is also mentioned in The Band song Up On Cripple Creek .

When I get off of this mountain, you know where I want to go

Straight down the Mississippi river, to the Gulf of Mexico

To Lake Charles, Louisiana ...

The source that supplied the lyrics for the Songfacts entry misidentified it as 'Lake George' and bollixed up some words in other spots.

Re Uriah Heep's album Salisbury: "The connection of the artwork to the title is readily explained. Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, England, is an Army training-area. On the front of the album sleeve is a British Chieftain tank. The original LP release was a gatefold-sleeve, with a b/w picture inside of a British tank of the First World War, over which were printed Hensley's comments on each track. Later reissues would be in a single sleeve." ~ Wikipedia

• 1 month later...

You mean like: "Green River" is a song that was written by John Fogerty and recorded by Creedence Clearwater Revival. It is the title track of their #1 album with the same name. The song is about Putah Creek located near Winters, California. The song was released as a single and reached #2 on the Billboard chart.

Putah Creek is also known as the Green River due to the buildup of algae and vascular plants in the late summer. Putah Creek is the subject of the Credence Clearwater Revival song Green River and served as a vacation spot for John Fogerty.

/From Wikipedia

Since this was the first suggestion, this is the first one I'm working on. I've learned more about Putah Creek than I ever intended to! :grin: I'll let you all know when it's up on the site - shouldn't be too much longer...

• 3 weeks later...

You mean like: "Green River" is a song that was written by John Fogerty and recorded by Creedence Clearwater Revival. It is the title track of their #1 album with the same name. The song is about Putah Creek located near Winters, California. The song was released as a single and reached #2 on the Billboard chart.

Putah Creek is also known as the Green River due to the buildup of algae and vascular plants in the late summer. Putah Creek is the subject of the Credence Clearwater Revival song Green River and served as a vacation spot for John Fogerty.

/From Wikipedia

Alllll righty! Here is the link to my first foray into Songplaces: Green River

Thank you for the suggestion, Dappled!

Next up: The Clash's (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais, about a reggae concert in a famous London nighclub (suggested by Farin)

:grin:

Just one comment/suggestion about Songplaces (and Songfacts too I think):

Songs beginning worth the word "The" are listed under the letter T.

([smaller]The Wall Street Shuffle ,The Blue Danube ,The Girl From Ipanema , etc.[/smaller])

Might it work better to alphabetize songs without the "The" (like in Top Ten Nominations style) ?

Just one comment/suggestion about Songplaces (and Songfacts too I think):

Songs beginning worth the word "The" are listed under the letter T.

([smaller]The Wall Street Shuffle ,The Blue Danube ,The Girl From Ipanema , etc.[/smaller])

Might it work better to alphabetize songs without the "The" (like in Top Ten Nominations style) ?

Master Sir Bazooka, I don't know when Carl will see this post, so I went ahead and forwarded it to him in a PT for consideration. I have no idea who/how the alphabetizing was decided on these sites. :)

Bazooka-

That is a good idea, since most people will look for The Blue Danube under B. There is a technical challenge here, since we'll need to add another field to the database. I'll check with Zhivko when he comes up for air and see if it's something we can do.

I agree. I never took notice before, but the word "the" should not be the first word categorized.

When you click on the link for the song, then the "the" should definitely appear on that page because it is part of the title.

Same goes for the songs that start with "A".

The "A" should not be used for categorizing, but appear when you look at the page for that song.

(i.e. "A Day In The Life", "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", "A World Without Love")

Good catch, Bazooka.

• 1 month later...

Bazooka-

That is a good idea, since most people will look for The Blue Danube under B. There is a technical challenge here, since we'll need to add another field to the database. I'll check with Zhivko when he comes up for air and see if it's something we can do.

I'll look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, everyone, but thanks for hanging in there!

Now for a taste of what's there:

Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields And Chelsea Hotel

Penny Lane ~ The Beatles

Strawberry Fields Forever ~ The Beatles

Chelsea Hotel No. 2 ~ Leonard Cohen

Green Day's Welcome to Paradise

Frank Zappa's Valley Girl

Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner

Welcome To Paradise ~ Green Day

Valley Girl ~ Frank Zappa

Tom's Diner ~ Suzanne Vega

China Grove, Texas...I've been there and the Doobies sang about it.

China Grove ~ Doobie Brothers

to be continued....

Shawna, very interesting to read the facts around all these songs and places :thumbsup:

Here's another suggestion:

My Crime - Canned Heat, a song about when the band went to Denver for a gig and was busted by the police!

I went to Denver

Late last fall

I went to do my job

Yeah I didn't break any law

We worked a hippie place

Like many in our land

They couldn't bust the place

And so they got the band

'Cause the police in Denver

No, they don't want none of them long hairs hanging around

And that's the reason why

They want to tear Canned Heat's reputation down

You people in Denver

Will know what I mean

Yeah, the things I'm gonna tell ya

Yeah, you've all heard and seen

You remember when a cop on the beat

Used to rob and steal

Today they're gone, but the others get it on

So you know just how I feel

Lord, they don't want none of them long hairs hanging around

They try to tear Canned Heat's reputation down

Yeah, they try to tear it down, boy

They ain't gonna do it though

Let me tell you this just one more time

Just one more thing I wanna tell ya

Before I go

It's a shame the man in Denver

Has to lie and mistreat people so

Now six months ain't no sentence

One year ain't no time

When I hear from one to ten

It worries my troubled mind

Lord, don't want no long hairs around

They try to tear Canned Heat's reputation down

The song that became the 1961 instrumental hit Midnight In Moscow_ started as a Russian composition titled Leningradskie Vechera ( 'Leningrad Nights ' ).

The song was appropriated by the Soviet Ministry of Culture and the title and lyrics were changed.

Now known as Moscow Nights, the song gained popularity around the world. More history from wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bells of Rhymney – The Byrds

Rhymney is a community located in southeast Wales, known to many as a result of the song, a musical adaptation of a poem by Idris Davies.

"Although The Byrds were anxious to pronounce the Welsh place names in the song's lyrics correctly on their recording, they actually mispronounced the word 'Rhymney'... The Byrds' recording was also influential on The Beatles, particularly George Harrison, who constructed his song If I Needed Someone around the same guitar riff that The Byrds had used in the song."

"Bleecker Street" - Simon & Garfukel

Bleecker Street is a street in New York City's Manhattan borough. It is perhaps most famous today as a Greenwich Village nightclub district. The street is a spine that connects a neighborhood today popular for music venues and comedy, but was once a major center for American bohemia.

Bleecker Street connects Abingdon Square, the intersection of Eighth Avenue and Hudson Street in the West Village, to the Bowery in the East Village.

Nearby sites include Washington Square Park and music venue Cafe Wha?, where Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Kool & the Gang, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, and many others began their careers. The club CBGB, which closed in 2006, was located at the east end of Bleecker Street, at the corner of Bowery.