I just listened to 'I've Seen All Good People"

coffeegod

Am I just in need of medication or do any of you other folks get sad because there is nothing out there these days like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.? Have I just become the elderly elephant on the savannah, waiting for the trip to the graveyard?

I'm not by any stretch saying there is no good music out there these days. I've been digging the hell out of Cee Lo Green's LadyKiller.

Eh, getting old blows. Now get off my lawn.

I loved Yes back in the days. And King Crimson, ELP, Caravan... Pink Floyd, of course... not Genesis at all though... I was more a Jefferson Airplane, Lou Reed or Rolling Stones fan.

I miss that music too... or maybe I miss the fact of being young? At almost 55 I still enjoy the music I loved in the sixties, seventies, eighties...

As much as I'd love another Pink Floyd or Rolling Stones or even Led Zeppelin to come around, that era of music and those kinds of bands are once in a lifetime. It sucks that being 28, I didn't get experience any of the bands I love in their prime, but thank God for vinyl and record players still being around!

It is my impression that, today, success in the music industry is geared toward jaw-dropping presentation and supporting performances, moreso than the emphasis on a singular musical message.

I recently saw a one hour reel from Midnight Special, a weekly live program made up of various pop, rock and soul acts from the late 60's to early 70's. No geysers of fire or pyrotechnics, no demonstrative lighting to dazzle the eyes, little or no flashy dress or back up ensemble dancers; just instruments, musicians, singers and their songs. There seemed to appear something purer - may I say better - about that, to my eyes. What I came away with was not "LOOK AT THIS! CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT WE CAN DO?" ... but ... "Pay close attention and listen to what I have to say."

Seriously, remember when autotune wasn't a requirement?

I listen to quite a bit of music on headset in my workplace. Since I listen to classic rock much of the time, I can tell you there are quite a few out of tune guitars out there. These days, a computer would clean that right up.

Even with perfect pitch, I'll take the out of tune every time. Music wasn't meant to be perfect, just enjoyed.

Music wasn't meant to be perfect, just enjoyed.

Well said, and that quest for perfection has certainly sterilized a lot of music. Consider that Motown would crank out songs very quickly. You could remaster them all you want, but they're great songs because they were written and recorded that way.