Roots Rock, Soul, Blues Mix CD

TheLizard

On Thursday at the radio station we're doing a mixtape (well, CD, although I'm sure some hipster will bring a tape) exchange, and because I figure it's going to be mostly everybody's pretentious indie favorites (not that there's anything wrong with that), I decided to go a different route and make a mix of 50's and 60's roots rock, blues, and soul. I've kept it pretty basic, I think, because I'm not sure how new this type of music will be to the people involved and I don't want to start them off too obscure and out there, but I was wondering if there's anything people think I could switch out (can't really just add a song because a CD can only hold so much music) or even just change the order of. I'm trying to make this sort of a one-album crash course in roots rock, soul/Motown, and blues.

Here's the mix:

1. Hold On, I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave

2. Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker

3. Tutti Frutti - Little Richard

4. Not Fade Away - Buddy Holly

5. Do Right Woman, Do Right Man - Aretha Franklin

6. Who Do You Love - Bo Diddley

7. The Thrill Is Gone - B.B. King

8. You Can't Catch Me - Chuck Berry

9. Save The Last Dance For Me - The Drifters

10. Runaround Sue - Dion

11. First Time I Met The Blues - Buddy Guy

12. Twenty Flight Rock - Eddie Cochran

13. All I Have To Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers

14. Reach Out, I'll Be There - The Four Tops

15. Ain't That A Shame - Fats Domino

16. Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson

17. Smokestack Lightnin' - Howlin' Wolf

18. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett

19. It's A Man's Man's Man's World - James Brown

20. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Jerry Lee Lewis

21. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) - Marvin Gaye

22. That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding

23. Crying - Roy Orbison

24. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations

25. Cupid - Sam Cooke

26. Shop Around - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

27. What'd I Say - Ray Charles

28. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley

29. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love - Solomon Burke

:headphones: :D

In the past, I've made tapes and mixed cds starting with the fastest tempo of a genre down to the slowest.

You want to grab them with the first 5 or 6 songs so they stay interested for the whole cd.

How about a few fast and mid tempo songs and then throw in a slow paced one.

You want the genre to flow, but that's not much of a problem here because they are pretty much related.

Looks like with these songs you can pretty much jump from r&b to blues to americana.

Sam Cooke would fit nicely in there.

Pst, "Cupid" is number 25. :D

Also, I've switched the James Brown song to go right before the Aretha song because of her line "They say that it's a man's world/Well you can't prove that by me". I'll think about moving some more of the faster ones to the front.

I think it'd be a crime to not include Robert Johnson in there.

I would recommend "Cross Road Blues", "They're Red Hot", "Walking Blues" and/or "Hell Hound On My Trail". Though I would venture to say that it's hard to go wrong with Robert Johnson.

If you're looking for more modern-sounding versions of some Johnson tunes, there's a million as I'm sure you know, but Clapton specifically did a pretty good Johnson cover album.

The Everly Brothers are sticking out like two sore thumbs. I'll try to think of a suitable replacement.

Yes.

Maybe "I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins?

Or some Arthur Alexander, whose songs were made famous by Beatles, Stones, Dylan or Pearl Jam?

Very good list, Tim :thumbsup: