Help obscure late70's/early 80s song

SupaJ

Desperately trying to remember name/singer of a song that is probably fairly obscure that a friend of mine used to play for me when he worked on radio in the early to mid 80s. The latest the song would have been released is 1980/1.

The song starts being spoken telling of a guy who is boarding a plane leaving his girlfriend at the airport after he takes his seat then the singing actually starts and is about flying away into the night, away from her, as the song goes on it is about his work that takes him away from her. I think there is a mention of phone calls back to his girlfriend, but I am not sure, and then at the end he decides that being away is not worth it and the last part of the song is about him flying home to her.

The singer may have been black and he had a very deep rich voice. The song had a bluesy sort of feel to it.

Any help would be really appreciated.

... or the bass for the Statler Bros.

I could be wrong, though. JJ

SupaJ, does the song start out in low, mid or high tempo? Does it have a three-part verse and two-part chorus?

Is its main conclusion vocal or instrumental? Is the vocalist male or female? (I've known ladies with lower voices than mine)

I'm certain this isn't the song you're looking for but it's the best I can do on such short notice based on your description.

Thanks for the welcome.

The voice is Barry White-like, especially the spoken bit at the beginning, but I have been through all Barry Whites albums on itunes and can't find the song. Also, although the voice is like Barry White, the lyrics aren't really typical Barry White lyrics - if that makes sense.

thanks for your time

I could be wrong, though. JJ

The spoken part is quite slow and the music starts as the pane takes off and is low-mid tempo, from memory the music kinda gives the feeling of a plane taking off.

I think it was a three-part verse and two-part chorus, with a vocal conclusion. Definitely a males singer and the voice, especially the spoken part is really deep and low.

Remembering the words are the main problem, it has the words like "flying (riding?) through the dark (mid)night sky, back (home) to you". I have search for these and variations but these words are not that uncommon in songs, so I get a lot of hits, but not managed to find the song I am thinking of.

thanks

• 1 month later...