Question about The Clash's "Complete Control"

Farin

I would think it has something to do with the band touring Europe and being in Amsterdam at the time CBS Records released the song "Remote Control".

Why the fans laughed and the press went mad, I don't know.

Maybe because The Clash didn't want the single released and the record company did so without the band's approval while they were nowhere around to know what they were doing.

I was going to suggest you pose the question in the comments section of the Songfacts, but you already thought of that... you are gooood. ;)

heh :cool:

Why the fans laughed and the press went mad, I don't know.

Maybe because The Clash didn't want the single released and the record company did so without the band's approval while they were nowhere around to know what they were doing.

hmm, maybe... but The Clash weren't very famous at that time, so why would the press go mad about that? (see the later lines in the song "They're dirty, they're filthy / They ain't gonna last"). Given the fact that they're a punk band it would make more sense for me if the fans would have gotten mad and the press laughing, but maybe 'people' refers more to the casual musically interested person...

I thought it would have been something like a specific interview after they heard that the song was released as a single, where they only gave bad answers, cursed a lot or something similar

I just noticed I said "fans laughed" when the lyrics say "people laughed".

"People" could refer to just people in general or fans, I guess.

I would think that people laughing would prolly be because of what happened.

Maybe they found it somewhat funny or laughed it off as in "no big deal".

The "press went mad" might not mean "angry".

It could mean that they went mad as in jumping all over the story.