Vince Clarke

Carl

Dan's Interview sorted out my Vince Clarke issues. He started Depeche Mode, but left before they got immensely popular. He had this song Only You, and needed a girl to sing it, so he teamed up with Alison Moyet, and the song was so successful they made some albums.

Then it was off to Erasure, where he found his calling manning the controls while Andy Bell worked the vocals.

What's very interesting is how his songwriting evolved, and how his creative spark and happiness depended on having a writing partner that worked for him.

Vince Clarke interview

Songfacts: You make so much music that's so danceable. Do you like dancing?

Vince: No, I'm a terrible dancer. The best songs to play live on stage are those that a lot of people can dance to. It's kind of instant gratification for me when you see people dancing to music in that way.

Songfacts: When you see people moving, you realize that you've done your job well.

Vince: That's right. There is nothing like when your new record comes on and you don't clear the dance floor.

Depeche Mode, Yazoo or Erasure were some the most danceable music in the 80s/90s... at least for me and for my friends... :cool:

Dan's Interview sorted out my Vince Clarke issues. He started Depeche Mode, but left before they got immensely popular. He had this song Only You, and needed a girl to sing it, so he teamed up with Alison Moyet, and the song was so successful they made some albums.

Then it was off to Erasure, where he found his calling manning the controls while Andy Bell worked the vocals.

What's very interesting is how his songwriting evolved, and how his creative spark and happiness depended on having a writing partner that worked for him.

Vince Clarke interview

Don't forget the interlude between the breakup of Yazoo and the formation of Erasure. He also had The Assembly, which featured Fergal Sharkey (from The Undertones) and spun out a single called "Never, Never" (a favourite of mine), as well as songs by Robert Marlow, who had a dance club hit with "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" (the Peter Pan Principle album is good) :beatnik:

Addendum: it's too bad about Andy Bell's health issues. His live shows are a rainbow extravaganza; he's his own pride parade! Hahahah.

Don't forget the interlude between the breakup of Yazoo and the formation of Erasure. He also had The Assembly, which featured Fergal Sharkey (from The Undertones) and spun out a single called "Never, Never" (a favourite of mine), as well as songs by Robert Marlow, who had a dance club hit with "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" (the Peter Pan Principle album is good) :beatnik:

The Assembly was a quite expected experience but it lasted just one song... :P