I'm looking for a poem.

Lea

I thought it would be best to post my question here rather then ask a songfactor because this is where the poets hang :D

I'm looking for a poem by Maya Angelou that she read on either the first or second season of Def Poetry. It was before the show became Def Jam.

I can't remember the tile or any actual lines from it, but it was about a young mother that traded her young daughters body for drugs.When she got the little girl back she promised to make it all better by buying her a new coat.

It was very sad (of course) and I searched online but can't find anything. Anyone a fan and know the poem's title. I've been looking off and on for a long time :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

Lea, I searched and searched and couldn't find anything about a poem on this. I'm wondering if she maybe read something out of her autobiography "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings," since she herself had the experience of being raped at 7 and then went into prostitution as a teenager to survive.

I even found one thing she read on "Def Poetry" but it was called "Still I Rise" about slavery for the mini series "Roots." It was the only thing I could find on Def Poetry that she did...