Bands that Changed the Course of Music

MuzikTyme

I'm certain that there are many Songfactors intrigued by this subject. Also, there are many choices that qualify. But, to me, this is a very wonderful example!

In my very humble opinion, no band envoked passion like Black Sabbath. They are my all-time favourite band besides Elvis, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Aerosmith...lol

What says you regarding influential pioneers of ANY musical genre?

"ANY musical genre"? Be careful what you ask for, I might bore you to death with The Hawaiian Music Renaissance of the 1970's. The Sunday Manoa, consisting of Peter Moon, Robert & Roland Cazimero, turned locals away from Rock and toward Na Mele O Hawaii. When Peter Moon left, The Brothers Cazimero took up the culture cloak. A short time later, The Peter Moon Band took local music on a roller coaster ride from Rock to Blues to R&B to Jazz. Gabby Pahinui & sons rowed offshore for "The Rabbit Island Music Festival," which encouraged West Oahu musicians like The Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau to play all over Honolulu. Then there's the tale of Cecilio Rodriguez and Henry Kapono Ka'aihue, who made the most Hawaiian sounding Rock/Pop without singing in Hawaiian. I could go on, but I hear you snoring loudly...

I mean, In my opinion:

The Beatles are the greatest band to ever walk this earth

Led Zeppelin is a close second, built together with some of the greatest skilled men at their craft that have ever played rock music

Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter to ever live

Ten Years After is the best blues rock band to ever play

Black Sabbath is the greatest, and first, metal band in existence (and Tony Iommi has written just about every cool riff you can imagine)

Ricky Skaggs is the best mandolin player I've ever heard

The Stanley Brothers are the greatest bluegrass band ever

No man plays with more passion through a guitar than David Gilmour (though Mark Knopfler is a close second)

Igor Stravinsky is the greatest classical composer of the last century, though Beethoven would have to be all time for me

"Nessun Dorma" is the most beautiful piece of music ever written

Jay-Z is the best rapper I've ever heard and his Black Album is some incredible hip-hop music

John Coltrane is the best jazz saxophonist to ever grace music with his presence

Bueno Vista Social Club is about the best latin band I've ever heard

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band out there

And that's about all the genre's I can think of. But that's my opinion on the best of about every genre of music I listen to.

I mean, In my opinion:

The Beatles are the greatest band to ever walk this earth

Led Zeppelin is a close second, built together with some of the greatest skilled men at their craft that have ever played rock music

Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter to ever live

Ten Years After is the best blues rock band to ever play

Black Sabbath is the greatest, and first, metal band in existence (and Tony Iommi has written just about every cool riff you can imagine)

Ricky Skaggs is the best mandolin player I've ever heard

The Stanley Brothers are the greatest bluegrass band ever

No man plays with more passion through a guitar than David Gilmour (though Mark Knopfler is a close second)

Igor Stravinsky is the greatest classical composer of the last century, though Beethoven would have to be all time for me

"Nessun Dorma" is the most beautiful piece of music ever written

Jay-Z is the best rapper I've ever heard and his Black Album is some incredible hip-hop music

John Coltrane is the best jazz saxophonist to ever grace music with his presence

Bueno Vista Social Club is about the best latin band I've ever heard

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band out there

And that's about all the genre's I can think of. But that's my opinion on the best of about every genre of music I listen to.

But did they really "change the course of music" because they were/are the best bands in their genres?

But did they really "change the course of music" because they were/are the best bands in their genres?

Maybe they did becaue they were stronger somehow.

The Sex Pistols also changed the course of music... MC5 were the first punks... David Bowie made glam officially massive.

Cliff Richard & The Shadows surely changed the course of British music in the late 50's and early 60s. Cliff turned 70 last week! He was born on Oct 14 1940 just 6 days after John Lennon's birth. In 1958 he released his first single, "Move It". The single went to No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart. Music critics Roy Carr and Tony Tyler wrote that it was the first genuine British rock classic, followed by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' "Shakin' All Over". John Lennon was quoted as saying that "Move It" was the first English rock record and "before Cliff and the Shadows, there had been nothing worth listening to in British music."

Prior to 1957, American pop, fledgling rock and do wop (all of which added their influence to the European youth music scene) normally consisted of a lead singer telling the song's story, with background vocals adding depth. Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, young James Brown, Carl Perkins, Brenda Lee, Roy Orbison and others sang alone or like the Five Satins, with backing vocals consisting of gospel-style two-note-major separated harmonics of the "Ooo waa la la" type. Then the Everly Brothers made the pop charts with Bye Bye Love . Everything changed.

Refining and polishing the angsty sounding harmonic minor thirds and fifths they borrowed from bluegrass influences such as the Delmore Brothers, the Carter Family and their own parents, the brothers' stylings of word for word harmonies changed forever the way artists approached harmony in pop music. Their influence is heard in acts from the Beatles (who idolized the Everlys) to Simon and Garfunkel with each progessive derivative owing to the original sound from the Everly Brothers.

Somewhere in-between there you'll find Bob Dylan changing the way songs were written. Yeah, there was still boy finds girl, boy loves girl, boy loses girl, etc. But Dylan influenced social comment in rock. I loved doo wop and rock-a-billy and soul and even pop. I loved hard driving rock. But then came music that actually said something. TY Bob Dylan.

Somewhere in-between there you'll find Bob Dylan changing the way songs were written. Yeah, there was still boy finds girl, boy loves girl, boy loses girl, etc. But Dylan influenced social comment in rock. I loved doo wop and rock-a-billy and soul and even pop. I loved hard driving rock. But then came music that actually said something. TY Bob Dylan.

Very true, UJoe. Dylan influenced a generation of songwriters. His own influences included Woody Guthrie, Jimmy Rodgers and Pete Seeger. Those three were musical commentary pioneers, as well.