New Lead Singers

Carl

When a band adds a new lead singer, it rarely works. Sure, they can find a soundalike to perform the concert favorites (Journey), but the hitmaking days for the band are usually over.

But there are some cases where a band has thrived when a new singer enters the picture, and it's happened under a few different conditions:

Original singer leaves, replaced internally:

Genesis. Right under their cymbals was Phil Collins, who while far less theatrical than Peter Gabriel, had tremendous mainstream appeal. Moving him out front did wonders for the band.

Original singer dies:

AC/DC. Most bands wouldn't recover from losing a powerhouse like Bon Scott, but Brian Johnson stepped in and has been delivering ever since. This is a lesson on how to replace a legend: enter with humility, honoring the fallen but not trying to imitate him. Recording one of the greatest albums of all time (Back In Black) on your first try also helps.

Original lead singer leaves, replaced externally:

Van Halen. The Dave vs. Sammy debate will never end, but the fact that there is a debate means that Hagar did his job. Van Halen then proved just how lucky they got when they lost Hagar and replaced him with Gary Cherone from the band Extreme.

New lead singer is added to existing group:

Black-Eyed Peas. With the addition of Fergie, Black-Eyed Peas went from a forgettable throwback rap trio to pop superstars. Everyone knows that if you add a girl lead singer, she will get all the attention, especially if she looks like Fergie. This gave will.i.am more time in the lab to work on his beats, which is where he belongs.

Any other examples?

Alice in Chains managed a successful comeback with a new lead singer William Duvall, after former frontman Layne Staley died.

Metal band Pantera became more successful after Phil Anselmo took over as lead singer.

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

Edited by Guest

Someone left Fleetwood Mac and sounds better than Stevie Nicks?

I wasn't aware that the Who had a better lead singer than Roger Daltry.

Lemme clarify myself...I'm talking famous bands...not garage types that evolve into what you and I'm talking about.

But I consider your honest response.

:ooo: :bow:

Very close example! Though when she sang there were no charted bullets. They did not achieve stardom until she left!

The band performed at all three of the most famous American rock festivals of the 1960s—Monterey (1967), Woodstock (1969) and Altamont (1969) as well as headlining the first Isle of Wight Festival!

If she never got pregnant, the above would have never happened!

But yes, it worked out well!

The answer that I'm searching for is a band that became completely famous and then once the lead singer was replaced got even more famous.

Thanks for your input.

:)

Well MT, if you're specifically looking for an example where the band gains success with an original lead singer, the lead singer then either dies or is replaced, and the band continues to succeed, the only one that I can recall is AC/DC, as Carl already mentioned. They had some hits with Bon Scott and then they continued to have hits with Brian Johnson.

Some would say that AC/DC got even more famous after Scott died. A lot of people would say "Back In Black" was their best album. It was certainly their best-selling, being second all time behind "Thriller".

So, do you truly believe that the singer for AC/DC (Bon Scott) was surpassed by the screaming banshee? Bon Scott sang whilst Brian Johnson screams off-key...lol

IMHO, nothing comes close to AC/DC's Highway to Hell (Bon Scott's last effort)

But, I try to understand people liking the new singer compared to Bon Scott.

Forget about sales and dollar signs and remember what's most important;

TALENT

Bon Scott was a natural performer while Brian Johnson is stiff as a board.

Elvis Presley wasn't a vocalist either, he was a performer. But who could have replaced him?

Thanks for your thoughtful input and reply.

(it means a lot to me)

Music is subjective...so I could be totally wrong!

;)

So, do you truly believe that the singer for AC/DC (Bon Scott) was surpassed by the screaming banshee? Bon Scott sang whilst Brian Johnson screams off-key...lol

IMHO, nothing comes close to AC/DC's Highway to Hell (Bon Scott's last effort)

But, I try to understand people liking the new singer compared to Bon Scott.

Forget about sales and dollar signs and remember what's most important;

TALENT

Bon Scott was a natural performer while Brian Johnson is stiff as a board.

Elvis Presley wasn't a vocalist either, he was a performer. But who could have replaced him?

Thanks for your thoughtful input and reply.

(it means a lot to me)

Music is subjective...so I could be totally wrong!

;)

Oh I would agree as well. Though some people would disagree. Some would say they like Brian Johnson better than Bon Scott. Personally, I've always loved Bon Scott.

I was basing my answer to your question based solely on empirical data. A band who gained fame with and original lead singer, the lead singer for one reason or another vacated their spot, and the band gained even more fame with a replacement. Based solely on empirical data, I think AC/DC is perhaps the best example of that.

Based on opinion however, well that's not necessarily provable by anyone but yourself, being that it is based on your own opinion.

How about the Doobie Brothers with Michael McDonald?

I dunno. I'd kind of say that the Doobie Brothers went downhill when Michael McDonald showed up. I mean, "Takin' It To The Streets" was a good album and "Minute By Minute" was alright but after that, I don't really think they were that great. I mean, almost all of their biggest hits were before Michael McDonald.

- The Cars had two lead singers while they were alive.

- Journey replaced Steve with.. Steve.

- Ultravox! had John Foxx and Ultravox had Midge Ure, but U-Vox had... ?

- Ladytron alternates between lead singers.

- Clan Of Xymox also alternated between lead singers: Ronny Moorings, the main lead, and Anke Wolbert, who sang a few songs.

- Everyone knows Depeche Mode's lead singer to be David Gahan, but some of the better songs were sung by the writer/composer, Martin L. Gore :beatnik:

- Joy Division had Ian Curtis. When he passed away, Bernard Sumner took over, and they also changed the band's name to NewOrder.

- INXS tried to replace Michael Hutchence with some random guy off teevee...

- Christian Death replaced the lead singer, Rozz Williams, with their guitarist, Valor (a bad move all around).

- Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy was the first lead singer of Duran Duran, but left the band before their first album broke big... with Simon LeBon as their new lead singer :headphones:

- Journey replaced Steve with.. Steve.

And then the guy from the Philippines.

Along those lines, when Jay and the Americans lost their lead singer, they had to find a guy named Jay to replace him. Then they did it again, so they've had 3 lead singers named Jay.

Going another direction, TLC had a different C when they started, but the girl they replaced her with was named Rozonda. The solution: give each girl a nickname, thus Rozonda became "Chili."

Rainbow went from Ronnie James Dio, to Graham Bonnett, to Joe Lynn Turner, and had hits with all three singers. Personally, I prefer Bonnett's voice and Dio's writing, but all three put out some pretty awesome stuff! And the band's popularity and record sales increased each time they fired/hired a new singer.

(The fact that they had the greatest guitar player of all time leading the way didn't hurt either.)

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: