Andy McClusky of OMD

Carl

The original ending of Pretty In Pink had Molly Ringwald going for Duckie, but when they changed the ending, John Hughes needed a new song. Enter OMD, popular in England but unknown in America, and they create "If You Leave" for the classic prom scene.

In his conversation with Dan, Andy McClusky covers that story and gives some insight on some other OMD songs, including "Enola Gay," which is about a bomber.

Andy McClusky of OMD

I loved this interview... :) Congrats once again to our Songfacts interviewers!! :thumbsup:

I like a lot OMD and knew their first albums but never went to a concert.

Yet I had the chance to spend a whole day with Andy McCluskey in the mid-eighties, interviewing him for a couple of magazines and having lunch together... he's absolutelly charming and so polite... :) he even invited me to his place in England!! :laughing:

Apart from loving the first 2 Roxy Music albums, Eno was our hero because he taught how to make interesting music on ordinary instruments. We couldn't afford synths in the early days. He also championed music on cheap instruments. That's all we had.

What a good sight on Brian Eno... :thumbsup:

Thank you once again, Carl and the team!! :)

Oh, no, I didn't... :laughing: I just spent a sunny day interviewing him in the hotel bar and then having lunch somewhere and then talking and waiting for other journalists -who were late- to come... :)

The usual promo trip... That's all... :) I don't even remember what we talked about... I remember he told me "when you come to England come and see me"

He was very handsome 25 years ago... :shades:

I LOVE OMD! I have every album so far and will be getting their newest one (as soon as I clear my credit card bill for this month). Here in SoCal, there's a autombobile with the personalised plates "OMD FAN" that was mentioned on the radio years ago. I wonder if it's still registered... I gotta register my vehicle next month :headphones: