Freak Out Music

Carl

Is there a genre of music known as "Freak Out"? The Mothers of Invention named their 1966 album "Freak Out!," and that would be the era. Here's a snippet from an old NME article that I'm trying to make sense of:

"Freak-out" was happening in the States at the time – the time being 1966, the year of the Yardbirds, The Mothers of Invention and the first primal croaks from the West Coast. Not to mention Revolver and 'Eight Miles High'.

I'm going to take a stab and include Captain Beefheart - Troutmask Replica (album), because he was seriously involved with Zappa at that time and drew a lot of influence from him.

I've got to say though, I've never heard that "Freak Out" term used though regarding music of any sort (acid rock?).

I'm going to take a stab and include Captain Beefheart - Troutmask Replica (album), because he was seriously involved with Zappa at that time and drew a lot of influence from him.

I've got to say though, I've never heard that "Freak Out" term used though regarding music of any sort (acid rock?).

:thumbsup:

Also Captain Beefheart- Bat Chain Puller and The Grateful Dead- Anthem Of The Sun

The Frank Zappa album Freak Out is freaked out :laughing:

And I think Zappa produced a few of Captain Beefheart's albums

Edited by Guest
Troutmask Replica (good stuff)

I freak out in a Moonage Daydream...oh yeah..

-Bowie

Just felt to need to quote this line. It really has nothing to do with the conversation.

Wow, I think "Heavy Metal" came before "Punk," which I figured was first said in the '60s.

I guess Freak Out is at best a sub-genre, and almost needs to be experienced to be understood. Blues gave a great explanation and that Janis Joplin link explains a lot.

I might be wrong but :doh: I think Frank Zappa's Freak Out was the first double album to come out as a first album by "The Mothers Of Invention"

And Blues pretty much nailed it with his explanation of freak out music

Although I never really understood the term freak out with acid rock,but the beat poets and Ken Kesey,the Merry Pranksters and others

It's good music but I (personally) can't sit there and listen to the whole Frank Zappa "Freak Out" album

It's like too much stuff at one time

Ravi Shankar at Monterey

It really all started with the death of JFK and the rebirth of the American spirit with the Beatles arrival to America. The Free Speech Movement progressed to Gatherings and concerts. Acid Tests, Merry Pranksters, Human Be-in's and Tribal Gatherings were the order of the day. The Grateful Dead even had their own chemist (the Legendary Owsley Stanley).

AcidT_BigNig_1965.jpghumanbe-in.jpghumanbein14jan1967HUMANBE-INGATHERINGOFT

I guess Freak Out is at best a sub-genre, and almost needs to be experienced to be understood.

Me neither.

As someone who experienced this era and culture firsthand, it would be hard for me to differentiate this "freak out" from Pyschedelic music in general ("attempts to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs ... often used new recording techniques and effects and drew on non-Western sources").

As best as my brain cells now allow, I remember the term "freak" being used both as a badge of honor (distiguishing one from the "straights") and pejoratively (as in "speed freak" for an over indulger). Likewise, to "freak out" could mean a drug experience took an unpleasant course, causing the tripper to become frightened or to overeact to perceived conditions OR to "freak" someone "out" is to "blow their mind" with some amazing or seemingly magical bit of business, sometimes even in the form of a practical joke.

Anyway, here's a sugar cube from The 'mind-altered' Rolling Stones:

We Love You