Quiz September 2010

Jeff from Austin, TX is this month's winner of a cool and comfortable

SongFacts t-shirt. :coolio:

Here are the answers:

1. What is the best-selling band in the U.S. that shares it's name with a character from a fairytale?

Toto.

With over 7 1/2 million units sold, their name is the same as Dorothy's dog from The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz tale written by J. Frank Baum in the year 1900.

Cinderella came in a close 2nd place finish with over 7 million units sold.

2. What U.S. #1 hit from the '60s shares its title with an '80s movie about a high school kid?

"Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles.

The title of their 1964 hit was used as the title of a 1987 movie in which an unpopular high school nerd buys a month of dates with a teen babe for $1000 in order to win friends and influence people.

3. What '80s song was a Top-Ten U.S. Hot 100 hit and a #1 UK hit and has a chorus with a lead vocal that is one word repeated?

"Desire" by U2 (The word "desire" is repeated by the lead vocal in the chorus)

4. What band lost their famous lead singer in the '80s, and had just one Top-10 hit (U.S. and UK) without him?

The Commodores.

Lionel Richie left in 1982 and the band continued without him. Their song, "Nightshift" was a Top-10 hit in both the U.S. and The UK in 1985.

5. What singer released an album in the '00s named after her mother that sold over 500,000 copies?

M.I.A.

The album was titled, "Kala" and the RIAA certified it Gold status on 3/5/2010.

6. In the '70s, what song became a U.S. #1 hit a few months after the artist died?

"Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce.

He was killed in a plane crash on 9/20/1973 and the song reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Chart for week ending 12/29/1973.

"Me And Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.

She died of a heroin overdose on 10/4/1970 and the song reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Chart for the week ending 3/20/1971.

7. What obscure R&B song from the '50s became a massive hit for a white group in the '60s?

"Louie Louie"

The song was first recorded by R&B singer, Richard Berry in 1957 but it never reached the Top 40 of the Top 100 Chart.

The Kingsmen recorded their version in late 1963 and took it to #2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Chart, where it occupied that position for 6 weeks.

8. What song released in 2007 features actors from the TV show Seinfeld in the video?

"Online" by Brad Paisley.

The video includes Jason Alexander who played George Costanza; Estelle Harris who played George's mother, Estelle Costanza; and Patrick Warburton who played Jerry's mechanic and Elaine's boyfriend, David Puddy.

9. What Motown hit mentions a specific date in the first lyrics?

"Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" by The Temptations.

Their #1 hit starts out with, "It was the third of September, that day I'll always remember."

10. What famous lead singer is a vegetarian, doesn't drink alcohol, and is married to a famous actress?

Chris Martin of Coldplay.

Martin married actress Gwyneth Paltrow on 12/5/2003.

Congratulations to Jeff and thanks to all who entered the Mighty Songfacts Trivia Quiz. :thumbsup:

Take our newest quiz by going to SongFacts main page and clicking on the quiz link. :headphones:

Jeff,

If the question had asked, "What '80s hit has a chorus that is simply one word repeated", then "Rock Me Amadeus" would have qualified as a correct answer.

The tricky part of this question was that it asked for a "chorus with a lead vocal".

On "Rock Me Amadeus", Falco himself does no singing during the chorus, it is all done by background singers.

This made it more difficult for entrants to find a correct answer, but sometimes questions are worded to make them a little more challenging while sometimes we throw in a few easy ones.

We try to add a little of both to make the quiz more interesting and challenging.

The good folks at the ICON Series have offered a choice of CD for the Top 3 entries this month (October). So, even if you've won before, you're still eligible to pick a disc. And these are good discs:

http://www.ilovethatsong.com/icons/