meaning of The First Cut Is The Deepest

ormonde

I'm with you on this one, Catherine. Sounds like the person has met somebody that wants to start a relationship with them. The person sings this to them trying to explain the hurt they are feeling because of this past relationship and that it is impeding them from diving into this potential new relationship.

Cat Stevens did it first, then Rod Stewart, and now Sheryl Crow has a version out.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the lyrics and original were accomplished by Patti Smith. The most rememberable version was Rod Stewart. And I believe (not to be vulger), the lyrics mean; the first guy a young women has slept with and has dumped her hurts the deepest, because of the emotional attachment and significance of the relationship. ???:o

Wow, Cat Stevens did write this. I knew Stewart didn't, and assumed it was one of his covers written by a fairly obscure folk singer (see "Reason To Believe.") Rod does a great version, and Sheryl Crow's isn't bad either. I haven't heard about any Patti Smith connection - I'd be interested to hear if there is one.

I love the imagery in the song of the first love leaving a scar. Everyone remembers their first love, and it definitely leaves a mark. Smokey Robinson, who I consider a master songwriter, did the same thing with "Tracks Of My Tears," where emotional pain manifests in physical harm as the tears leave tracks down the face of the heartbroken lover. It's no wonder songs like this last forever.

And please check out the Bill Withers stuff- I promise "Ain't No Sunshine" will make you cry.

Ormonde: It do's seem that everyone is focused on who dunit, rather than the orignal question you have, and that is; what do the lirics mean. I hold true to my original accknowledgement of your question, that the meaning is to my embarassment; the first time a young or older women has enjoyed intercourse that meant something special to her, and she was left aside. As to the writer, I will be honest I don't know for certain. I can and believe the artist was Patti Smith. Still awaiting the time and resources to check it, but will eventually. Hang in there, unless someone else can puzzle this one out. Seems to be one of those obscure ones that the resources are thin on. Going back to my opening statement, if each of us told a friend, and they told a friend, and so on...so fourth, there are people who know, and not enough of them visiting this site!

I coincider myself a Musicologist, but at the same time someone who is always looking to improve my knowledge of all things. I seem to be lacking subject matter in my areas of interest in music, but this is a great format to expand my knowledge in. Any questions about such bands that might come from the 60's/70's/80's (Not Punk), or even Motown, the 90's and present Pop, Rock, Grunge, Metal, or Hard, I would be happy to give a stab at it. I am not going to give up on your question until I can add the complete answer to this forum. I have this stuck in my head, and feal I know where to look, just have to take time out to do it in all of our busy lifestyles. Be patient and perceviere!! :drummer: "And the beat keeps going on!"

CHAFF

In addition I might add to those viewing this response, that I am speaking of Patti Smith, not Patty Smyth of another brief hit hitting band for whom my memory would serve me wrong to attempt. Maybe I will forum this one? You know the way the story goes! I'd know the name if I heard it!

Thanks, CHAFF

It seems crazy to respond to my own E-mail (at least similar), but I know the Patty Smyth I'm speaking of was the Sax player in the band, and the name of the band just eludes me. I know this does not have anything to do with your question, but I'm brainstorming mannnnn!!!!!

CHAFF :help:

I agree with you. Where did Cat Stevens fall into this? Rod Stewart I can fathom, but I think it is a strech for Cat Stevens. I will admit that it is possible he wrote it, but I cannot remember anything about him recording it. ::

Chaff-

Just to clear some stuff up - Cat Stevens did write the song. I checked it in a very reputable discography. I was surprised too. Patty Smyth was lead singer of the group Scandal ("The Warrior"), and did well as a solo artist singing ballads like "No Mistakes" and the duet with Don Henley "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough." Not sure about her playing sax (Candy Dulfer, maybe?), and also not sure where Patti Smith fits into this picture. We're all learning.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

cat stevens did write it...but loads of people have done cover versions. trust me, I ought to know - my dad is still some place between the late 60s and the 80s!

First Cut is the Deepest appears on the "Best of Cat Stevens" album.

"The first guy a YOUNG WOMAN has slept with and has DUMPED her hurts the deepest, because of the emotional attachment and significance of the relationship" :doh:

HA! I am sorry ....but that quote sounds like pure friggin BS. (covers eyes and shakes head) Aww....yes I do realize I am taking it personal. As a female, that stigma really makes me pissed.

First of all from my experince guys get just as wimped as the next, they get attached and have emotions. To base that song on some poor girl who was used and abused or about a young womans "first" is just disturbing! For the love of God, its disturbing!

Second- Cat Stevens is a MALE and he wrote the friggin song! The original lyrics say "and SHES taken just all that I have" Meaning a Female broke his heart. Maybe it was his "first" :P

O.k. now that I have vented.........

I find that song to be BEAUTIFUL. I agree with Eggplant and Catherine. It represents anyone who has truley loved someone and it didn't work out. It doesn't even have to be about sex, period. That person knows that they have gave a piece of their heart (not a piece of ...) to a another and is telling the new person, I am just being honest I don't know if I could ever love like that again, yet I am willing to give it a try.

Ok...let the stones fly

(crouches down behind the sofa)

• 1 month later...

Does it have to be two-way love? What about one-way love where maybe a guy loved this girl so much, but the girl was merely flirting and pulled away from him, and in the end the girl gets a real stud, starts a girlfriend-boyfriend relationship and gets married.

• 4 weeks later...

The First Cut Is The Deepest

1) Recalls Shakespeare, Jullius Caesar, JC: That was the most unkindest cut of all. (Said to his friend Brutus, who has betrayed him and cut him with his sword.)

2) The first experience makes the strongest impression. This is especially true of Westerners. (I can back this up.) This is true of first love, first kiss, first cooperative sexual experience, and the first time one goes to a good restaurant.

3) It also means that the first time one spontaneously does something will be the most authentic. This feels true to many musicians who must continually refine their work. The rawness of early Patti Smith, Yardbirds, Velvet Underground, etc. often have more power than the musically superior later efforts.

4) Note this is a quote from a musician whose world uses 'cut' for laying down a track.

• 12 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/3/2004 at 9:40 PM, Catherine said:

Cat Stevens? I thought it was Rod Stewart that sang that song?

To me it sounds like someone got their heart broken so badly that it made them unable or unsure about loving another person again.

I  thought it was Rod Stewart as well 

3 minutes ago, Ange said:

sounds

That sounds about right, I vaguely remember him talking about an older woman that he slept with she was his first  she was older and she broke his heart